Advanced Search

NuB Stopping Help!

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping NuB Stopping Help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Ok…I’m almost there!  I’ve gone thru all the grits at 20*, with pretty good results, so far.  I started with leather strops and diamond paste 5 microns.  I’ve reduced my angle by 2*.  It seems like the bottom edge of the bevel I getting shiny, but the bevel is not.  I switched to 1 degree and same thing, only a little more noticeable shine on the bottom bevel.

Now…on my last attempt, at a higher bevel angle all together, I did the same thing, only I increased my strop able to the point where it matched the bevel angle.  Problem is, I may have rounded over the edge, cuz when I was done, the blade was not sharp.

Soooo, this time, with the reduced bevel angle, I’m trying to be careful not to do the same thing.  What should I do?  Oh…WE130, diamond stones to 1k, strop 5 and 3.5 diamond paste.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by NorCalQ.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The solution is more pressure on the strops. The more you reduce the angle, the more pressure you have to use to compress the leather such that you reach the apex. If you have a really light touch try using the same angle as you sharpened at.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

At what point do you risk rolling over the edge.  Also, it feels like I’m exerting good pressure on the strop, as the vise does move a bit from the pressure.  Is there such a thing as too much pressure?  With proper pressure and angle, will the bevel show even wear from stropping, right off the bat?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by NorCalQ.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Well, you can use too much pressure. When this happens you will roll the edge. I find that it makes it a lot easier to prevent edge rolling with a 1.5 degree per side reduction in angle and the use of firm pressure. I judge the results based on increase in sharpness, not on appearance.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I get the same results with my leather strops, which are relatively new.   I think that new leathers are probably less compliant than strops which have a few miles on them.  My old set was chopped up pretty well, but I thought they were softer.  If you can clearly see where the line is between the edge and the polish left by the strops, you need to creep up on the angle to just barely touch the apex.  Strops will refine the apex, but the trick is to not let the compliance of the leather round over the apex.  If I recall correctly, Clay has micro photos that show how strops can draw an edge up to a finer apex.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks.  Helps to hear someone else has encountered the same and a possible solution to fix it.  Weird, cuz I could strop by hand, get a good polish and not round over the edge.  With WE, I’m finding it more difficult to find that balance.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.