Advanced Search

Not Sure What I Should Buy

Recent Forums Main Forum Not Sure What I Should Buy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Hello, I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a Wicked Edge sharpening system, but I’m very confused on which system I should purchase. I’m at total newbie when it comes to sharpening (my only experience is with a Work Sharp). The way I plan to use my Wicked Edge is primarily to sharpen 4 of my high-end Benchmade knives (one of them is S90v steel). I will also use it to sharpen several lower end filet and boning knives I use for butchering animals. I have several questions that I’ve listed below.

Which Model – I’m torn between the Wicked Edge Go, the WE100, WE120, and the WE130. My initial desire is to go with the WE130 because it sounds like the best. However, it’s significantly more expensive than all the other models I’m considering. Is the added cost simply because of the camlock vise, or are there other significant improvements over, say, the WE120? I have read that the cheaper models are more difficult to clamp a blade in and make sure it stays perfectly vertical (and doesn’t move) while sharpening. I also read that the WE130 takes care of that problem. Is that true? I’m willing to pay the extra cost for the WE130 if it really is that much better, but for my intended purposes is there a cheaper model that will be perfectly satisfactory for my needs? I looked online at the “Buyers Guide” page, but I still don’t really understand the pros/cons between the Go, WE100, WE120, and the WE130. Is one really that much better than the others? Could you please help me understand?

Which Stones – I do not understand the difference between diamond stones and ceramic stones. Is one significantly better than the other? My original thought was to purchase 4 sets of stones: the 100/200 grit, the 400/600 grit, the 800/1000 grit, and the 1500/2200 grit. Does that sound like a good combination to get the sharpest edge possible? A mirror finish would be “cool” but is it actually a sharper edge? Also, I do not understand the need/differences between the different strops and lapping films. Do I need those to get my knives as sharp as possible? If so, which ones should I get?

I’m sorry for asking so many questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right the first time if I’m going to drop so much money on a complete sharpening system.

Thank you!

Jess

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Jess, I sent you a private message.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Jess, I will share this with you: With Wicked Edge Sharpeners you do get what you pay for.  Each incrementally more expensive model allows you to achieve the sharpening results you’re hoping to, with less effort, with less difficulty, faster and sooner. By faster and sooner I mean, with the WE130 you’ll learn how to sharpen knives well, sooner and it’ll be easier to learn the techniques for how to do this.  Then after you learn how to use the WE130 you’ll be able to sharpen knives well, faster, because it’s easier to use the more expensive models with their better features. It takes less time to do all the processes you’ll need to do, because you’ll have more adjustability and better control over the features on the more expensive models.  That is, it’s easier clamping knives and adjusting the precise angles.

With the less expensive models you can achieve equally fine sharpening results, once you finally learn how to do it.  This does require more time, more effort, more patience, more practice and more experience to put it all together, till you learn how to operate these less easily adjusted and harder to use well, less expensive models.

Many, if not, most of those of us that started with less expensive, less optioned models, even though we learned how to use these models well,  that is we mastered them.  We have chosen to purchase W.E. upgrade parts kits, to change out the parts on those models to convert them into the better WE130 model.  Simply because it’s easier, simpler and faster to use the WE130 well.

Some of us take it even a step futher.  We modify and accessorize our W.E. sharpeners to be even easier to use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mike
    Participant
    • Replies: 11

I will agree with MarcH as after some research I purchased the WE130 in November 2019 with stones up to the 3000 grit and am extremely happy with the results. Having come from strictly whetstones over the years, the transition to the WE130 was pretty much seamless. Every time I sharpen a knife they are getting even sharper than the previous time.

It’s a fairly substantial investment but when you spread that over the years to come, it works out to be very small along with a much happier result in the kitchen.

Mike

45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

I purchased my WE130 about 2 months ago. No regrets, MarcH is right on all he said about easy to use. I’ve added most of the items offered by the good folks on this forum, and don’t regret any of them. They have made it more enjoyable and easier to use. I suggest you also purchase an angle cube, very helpful.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

Answers to all your questions are on this forum so take the time to find them.  However you sound like myself a year ago so  here is my personal take on what  I bought and “should have bought”.  My use is to keep my wife happy and she has about 4 knives that she uses.. I  could have saved a lot of money taking them to the sharpening shop and spending $5 a knife every 3 months 🙂  but that’s not how I like to do things! 🙂

I did not buy the 130, I went with the 120, but I did not know about the tilt issue.. ODC does not like that so over the last year, I  have  upgraded the vice, the mount (which  I original made for wood), bought more stones then came with the 120 up to the 1500/glass stone (2200 did not exist then) , bought  strops, some Diamond Lapping films, longer rods , angle cube  and some other items.. I Would have saved money had I just bought the Pro Pack III as I now have just about everything that comes with it.

Is that correct for you, no way to know but once you have all the items that come with that package you will be set for a good while .  There will always be new products, stone and accessories offered as time goes by, but you will be able to make knives VERY sharp and mirror finished (if you desire) with the Propack III and not feel like you need to upgrade something in 6 months ..  My personal opinion with what I have and have spent,  that is the best bang for the buck, every needed accessory including a case.. Mine stuff is in a file folder box..

Good luck on whatever you choose and welcome

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Go with the 130 and no lower.  If you buy one used make sure it has their upgraded vice.  If money is an issue make it up on adding on used accessories when you come across them.  I see used stuff on the edge snobs forum on Facebook go by from time to time (good forum).

I own the Gen 3 Pro unit that I bought new (at a discount) and since it was an older unit it came with the older style vice, so I upgraded the vice to the same one that the WE 130 units come with now . . . which are now fully enclosed.  Their latest vice allows less diamond and metal filings which the old style requires more frequent cleaning.  Their latest vice model will allow the cam area and components to wear less.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Here’s my take: If you love sharpening as a hobby unto itself then go all in and get the WE130 or even the pro pack 3 if you can comfortably afford it. The self centering clamp design makes getting a blade clamped as simple as the flip of a lever.

If you’re just interested in keeping things sharp for utility sake (and you view sharpening as a chore) then the lower end models may be a good value. Your results will be essentially the same with each of the different models, but the less expensive models require more care and effort when clamping.

Diamonds vs Ceramics: The TL:DR on this is that diamonds work more quickly than the ceramics and most people prefer the diamond stones. I personally feel that the ceramic stones still have a place in a sharpening toolbox, but you’ll be happy with the results from the 100-2200 grit progression you suggested.

Mirrored Edges: A highly refined super sharp edge will almost always have mirrored bevels, but you can also have mirrored bevels and a dull knife. This topic is pretty deep and there are several threads on the forum already about this so I won’t go into it in detail here. I’d say worry about all of that later after you’re comfortable using the system.

Strops vs Lapping Films: Think of the lapping films as super high grit diamond stones. You don’t need them unless you want a high grit finish. These are great for mirrored finishes. Strops are an entirely different tool. In my opinion you should get at least one set of strops to use after your diamond stone progression if you want the knife to be super sharp. I’d suggest the 4 / 2 micron strop pack.

Hopefully that addresses all of your questions.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Jess
    Participant

Thank you all so much for all your help! It’s so nice to have a resource of such experienced and skilled individuals to share some of their wisdom with me. You guys have shared some very helpful tips and insights so I think you all have helped me make my decision. Thanks again everyone!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

What did you ultimately decide to go with?

Jess
    Participant

I think I’m going to save up the money and go with the WE130, and then buy a couple of accessories. I’d like to get the ProPack 3, but I think I can get everything I need for a few hundred bucks less this way. Thanks again everyone!

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.