Advanced Search

Not centered?

Recent Forums Main Forum Not centered?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    -Terry
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 27

It seems like my blade is not centered. If I set my Gen 3 Pro to 15° then use micro adjustments to get an actual 15° on my angle cube, the right side stones hit the clamp assembly. I have checked and rechecked the angles, and they seem right. This is the only knife I’ve had in this system so far, but if there’s a problem, I’d rather not start on another knife. Has anyone experienced this?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

-Terry there is a minimum angle where the stones will collide with the vise for every knife.  The size and height of the knife above the vise jaw line effects this.  Taller and larger knives are less of an issue then smaller shorter knives.  The knife does not need to be clamped in the vise so it rests on the positioning key posts.  That is not a necessity.  The knife can be raised higher up in the jaws, when need be.  All that matters is that the knife is securely held in the jaws so you can sharpen it.  None-the-less not every knife will work in the W.E. sharpener. Some are just too small or short. At some point you will need to utilize an adapter.  Either the W.E. Low Angle Adapter, LAA, or a Tormek Small Knife adapter.  There are other modifications that may help also.  The other alternative is to increase the intended bevel angle to an angle where the stones don’t contact the jaws any longer.

The issue may be more evident on one side of the knife then the other.  Even if the knife was centered.  Every knife has a minimum angle where this issue will be evident.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    -Terry
    Participant

Perfect, thank you .

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Along the same subject, I have a heck of a time getting small knives with no vertical surface centered.  So I think all I have to do is stick the angle cube on both and match the angles by shimming it but then there’s not enough knife blade for the magnet to clamp down on.  LOL!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    -Terry
    Participant
    1. Ya, I lifted the blade, and it no longer hits the clamp. Most of my blades are close to the same size, so illI have to remember to lift em all a bit higher than resting on the pins. Thanks
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Along the same subject, I have a heck of a time getting small knives with no vertical surface centered. So I think all I have to do is stick the angle cube on both and match the angles by shimming it but then there’s not enough knife blade for the magnet to clamp down on. LOL!

The Tormek contraption is your best bet (at least it was for me) in that case. Just remember to line up the knife’s blade with the metal blade that goes in the vise. There is a video of that but I’m on my phone and can’t find the bated thing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.