Advanced Search

NOOB needs help…please

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat NOOB needs help…please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Billy
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Happy New Year!

I’m tired of having nice EDC and kitchen knifes and using them sparingly because I dont have a way of keeping the edges sharp. So, I’ve received the OK from the wife to buy a knife sharpening system. I’ve researched the options and I narrowed down to Tormek T4 or  WICKED EDGE. I’ve settled on the wicked edge…..i think. Now, I have to decide which base unit to buy WE 130 or Gen3 pro. I’m leaning towards the we130 to maintain the ability to set right / left arms independently. I could really use some advice from some of you who have first hand experience. I want to buy 1 system…bite the bullet, pay the money up front for a system that will last and I wont regret. Is the gen3 pro the most advanced option

Thanks in advance

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

I went the upgrade path.. thought the 120 would be good enough.. to do it again would go with the 130.  The pro is not going to make your EDC and kitchen knives any sharper than the 130.. One thing that does not come stock (as far as I know) is the longer rods.. they can be added at anytime but my stock rods are on a shelf never to be used again.. Also an angle cube which maybe be part of a package but if not is something I believe is required from day 1.  Also a USB microscope about $40 should be part of the initial purchase.   There are many stones, strops and films to spend money on.  As a person who only sharpens the wife’s kitchen knives and my cheapo EDC would suggest 100/200 400/600 800/1000 1500/glass and some 4 or 6 micron diamond film when you want more shine and  2 sets of strops with 4, 2, 1, and .5 micron emulsion.   All can be purchased individually and there are packages that contain these and probably more but I would say this gets you what you are looking for.

There are also custom accessories made by forum members, including myself, but none of them are needed from day one.. or at all for that matter, they are accessories not necessities. 🙂

Hope that helps!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Billy
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

very helpful info Mr. airscapes. thank you. the pro pack 3 sounds like a good choice vs. the Gen3 pro.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.