Advanced Search

Ninjaflex (TPU) Paddle Bumpers

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Ninjaflex (TPU) Paddle Bumpers

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Thanks Ed!  Please let me know if there are changes that could be made and if the number and sizes are useful or if few would be sufficient.  So far I have used the 25mm (1″) and the 13mm not sure the others would ever get used with the WE120 and short rods..

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Airscapes,

Got a chance to try them on my modified Gen3 Pro.  I raised the clamp about 2″ using a riser block I bought from WE.  I did this so I could utilize the entire length of the sharpening paddle on pocket knives.  Sharpening the taller chef knives it was fine.

This weekend I sharpened two chef knives and used the bumpers.  The 7mm didn’t have enough grip and started to slip down the rod as I sharpened.  When I opened your envelope with the bumpers, one of the 13mm bumpers must have escaped.  I looked all over my bench and shop area but I could not find it.  So, I jumped up to the 16mm bumpers.  They were perfect and did not slip during the sharpening session.  I tried to use the 25mm bumpers but they were very difficult to get on the rod and hard to move once installed.  I ended up using the 16mm ones and I would recommend them to others.

Before the bumpers I used a plastic collar with a thumb screw.  Sometimes the thumb screw slides over and I end up hitting it with my fingers which is annoying.  The bumpers solve that problem and that is why I like them.  So for me, the 16mm is the best size not having tested the 13mm.

Thanks for sending me a set to test.

Ed K.

airscapes
    Participant

Thanks Ed!  When I designed these I though they would get stacked so that was why different  sizes.  Not sure why the one did not hold tight.. but sounds like 15-16 mm would be good.  I found a very slight issue with the diameter.  With the paddle sitting on the stop vrs no stop there was a slight difference in the angle read on the the angle cube.  When I get a chance I will make a couple 18mm  and 17mm vrs 19mm diameter to see if it fits better between the ears.  I think this is more of a slop between the stone and the shaft and it’s kind of centered by the tighter fit between the bumper and the ears at the end of the stone.

Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

Your Paddle Bumpers are a very interesting idea! Great work!

My solution has been to use some simple aluminium shaft collars. They can be tightened so much that they will stay in place, no matter what happens.

Still I would love to try your bumpers though…

To make the changing of stones easier, I ordered some Ruland QCL-4-A Quick Clamping Shaft Collars.

But unfortunately, they will not fit on the rods. Do any you have an idea of how I can widen the increase the bore diameter a little bit, so they will work?

Your suggestions will be much appreciated!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Haffner.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The collars are probably hardened and wouldn’t like reaming or drilling, so you might try chucking up in a drill a short rod which has been sawn lengthwise for about an inch.  Then put a short strip of sandpaper in the cut and spin it in the collar’s bore.

I really like the clamp design you’ve picked, but it is quite large in diameter.  I use aluminum clamp collars which need an Allen wrench.  They’re smaller and fit is no problem, but a little clumsy to work with as I have large hands which aren’t as dextrous as they used to be.

I made a pair of 14″ rods, using size F steel rod.  Size F is 0.257″ diameter, which fits a little bit tighter in the handles, but the single best solution is to keep your fingers below the edge.  This ensures that the stone will not try to rotate as it moves above the fulcrum of the edge.  Good luck.

airscapes
    Participant

I ordered some Ruland QCL-4-A Quick Clamping Shaft Collars. But unfortunately, they will not fit on the rods. Do any you have an idea of how I can widen the increase the bore diameter a little bit, so they will work? Your suggestions will be much appreciated!

Did you loosen the adjustment screw?

• Tension adjustment screw allows the collar to be compatible with wide shaft tolerances and provides a range of axial holding power

Clamp says ID .2500 and my WE rod measure .254, I would think there should be plenty of adjustment.

Those also look a lot easier to install/adjust and remove than my TPU bumpers.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Has anyone tried using a wine cork? I use them and they seems to work perfectly.

Haffner
    Participant

Then put a short strip of sandpaper in the cut and spin it in the collar’s bore.

Yeah, I guess I’ll have to go with some sandpaper, when I get the time. Untill then I’ll have to use my ordinary aluminum clamp collars.

I made a pair of 14″ rods, using size F steel rod. Size F is 0.257″ diameter, which fits a little bit tighter in the handles,

Your 14″ rods must be wonderful to work with. I truely wish, I had a pair like yours!

Haffner
    Participant

Did you loosen the adjustment screw?

Yes, I dit loosen the adjustment screw, but still the collar will not go onto the rods.

Those also look a lot easier to install/adjust and remove than my TPU bumpers.

Unfortunately, I haven’t tried your TPU bumpers, allthough I’d love to, but I’m sure they have some advantages as well.

airscapes
    Participant

If I have time this weekend I will try making a 13,mm bumper that is only 17mm in diameter and see now it works.  If it holds well and does not change the stone angle I can probably make a few.. If we only need one size it makes them much more cost effective to fabricate.  Will let you all know.   After talking with Ed he finally fell over the other side of the fence and bought  a 3d Printer, so he will be spinning stuff up in a few month once he get the hang of it.. 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by airscapes.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Yes, I have tumbled into the pit of 3D printing.  My first attempt at printing with flexible TPU filament was a disaster.  I’m going to stick with PLA/PETG for the time being.  So, it may be a month or two before I can make the paddle bumpers.

Ed K.

airscapes
    Participant

You are welcome to email me and or call me any time.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.