Advanced Search

Next purchase … need ideas

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Next purchase … need ideas

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

You may consider glass for films it makes for the best backing for films .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Those are cool tcmeyer. I went with aluminum but i think ill try to go down to tap plastics and see what u can find

Hi Dan: I’ve been making a final version out of Garolite, a plastic akin to phenolic. So far very machinable, glues up easily. One of my wood versions (poplar) must have absorbed enough moisture to have the bushings go out of alignment.

Learned the hard way that the glass should have the edges polished. A sharp corner will leave a nasty scratch on a pretty knife.

I too am looking forward to WE coming out with a glass-platen version. I think it’s an excellent step forward.

drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 20

ok so after I used the 1200/1600 fine stones … should I go leather strop 5/3.5 micron and then roo strop with 1/.5 micron ?

I am thinking that would be a good progression to see how it goes… and then if I am not happy with the edge I could go even small micron with a nano cloth or something?

I found this …

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]Grit[/td]
    [td]100,000[/td]
    [td] 50,000[/td]
    [td] 14,000 [/td]
    [td]6,500[/td]
    [td]4,500[/td]
    [td]1,800[/td]
    [td]1,400[/td]
    [td]1,200[/td]
    [td]1000[/td]

[/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Micron[/td]
    [td]0.25[/td]
    [td].5[/td]
    [td]1[/td]
    [td]3.5[/td]
    [td]5[/td]
    [td]9[/td]
    [td]14[/td]
    [td]15[/td]
    [td]18[/td]

[/tr]
    [/table]

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

So.. if you’re still interested in achieving a mirror edge, the grit progression you list above is perfect. Wicked Edge users have been attaining mirror edges with the 4 or 5 sets of stones and a couple of strops for a long time, but expect to work at it. Most have moved up to the higher-end stones to fill in the middle grits. If you decide to focus on getting your knife to cut, think in terms of a toothy edge and start stropping with the 5/3.5 after 800 grit or so, but at two degrees less angle.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

+1

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

drew
    Participant

So.. if you’re still interested in achieving a mirror edge, the grit progression you list above is perfect. Wicked Edge users have been attaining mirror edges with the 4 or 5 sets of stones and a couple of strops for a long time, but expect to work at it. Most have moved up to the higher-end stones to fill in the middle grits. If you decide to focus on getting your knife to cut, think in terms of a toothy edge and start stropping with the 5/3.5 after 800 grit or so, but at two degrees less angle.

Sorry for the ignorance … but why -2 angle?

Leo Barr
    Participant

It is recommended that dropping the angle by 2˚ per side because leather strops that have a tiny amount of give in them so they will round off the point if you continue with the same angle as the stones. You should also reset the angles when switching different sharpening mediums particularly with the ceramics , Choseras and the different strops since all will have different thicknesses .

drew
    Participant

It is recommended that dropping the angle by 2˚ per side because leather strops that have a tiny amount of give in them so they will round off the point if you continue with the same angle as the stones. You should also reset the angles when switching different sharpening mediums particularly with the ceramics , Choseras and the different strops since all will have different thicknesses .

Ooooh ok I never would of thought about that. Thanks for that info!!!

drew
    Participant

Well I ordered my next round of blocks and strops … I am hoping it works out as well as I am thinking …

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

You can’t go wrong with your selection! Well… be careful. Strops easily nick.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Duane KLimczyk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

What should be done differently when using the ceramics?

drew
    Participant

What should be done differently when using the ceramics?

In what context?

Duane KLimczyk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

You should also reset the angles when switching different sharpening mediums particularly with the ceramics ,

The question was in regards to the previous statement

Leo Barr
    Participant

I would highly recommend this
    Variable Stone Thickness Adapter

This was inspired by the drill stop collar for the Edge Pro it makes for easy precision sharpening I know from my Edge Pro that the tapes 2-4-6K tapes used to tear without the drill stop collar with this the angle was absolutely precise so for the incredible cheap price the thickness adapter is I would highly recommend it excellent for the transition from diamond plates through to ceramics or Choseras or even once the angles have been dropped for strops once again great for strops of different materials it makes a huge difference to the quality of the edges you will turn out you will wonder how you survived without it .

drew
    Participant

You should also reset the angles when switching different sharpening mediums particularly with the ceramics ,

The question was in regards to the previous statement

So are you saying from like a 200-100 grit range is one angle … 1200-1600 is a smaller angle by like 1200-16002 degrees then strops are even small by another 1200-16002 degrees?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.