Advanced Search

Newby question!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rene Lafontaine
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

Hi every one.

I have a newby question for you. :unsure:

Is there any reason why on a SOG fielder i have 2 different bevel angle?one side is 21 deg and the other is17.. Pretty similar to the SOG vulcan in the knives database.

Its kindda tricky to find the proper angle and position in the vice too…. Not clearing the edge at one place… Getting on the sholder at an other place… Grrr lhehehe.:evil: . Keeping my learning curve going up!!

Thanks for your answer if i got some! 😛

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome to the forum.

Is the 17/21 degree angles the original angles or after you have sharpened it on the WE?

If the answer is factory, then this is common to have uneven bevels on factory edges. This is the beauty of the WE is it will fix the uneven angles on factory edges. Even my high end knives have uneven angles/bevels. Just by “eye-balling” them I can tell they aren’t equal.

If the answer is after using the WE then, a.) make sure blade is centered (if the spine is square shouldn’t be a problem). b.) don’t work 1 side too much. Spend time on both sides.

I made this mistake more than once (don’t know if it is your problem or not). I was tying to raise a burr on my first stone. This was a re-profile so I had a good amount of steel to remove. I worked the right side until getting a burr, then the left. The result was both sides were 20, but uneven bevels. The fix is work both sides evenly. If one side needs more work you still have to give the other side equal strokes.

If this is the factory edge and the 2 sides are that far apart you may have a good deal of steel to remove to get them equal.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Also I forgot to mention there is a lot of good information here. Under resources there is a Wiki. The videos on Clay Allison on you tube helped me a lot. There are also some good forum topics under getting started, and also on the WE home page.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rene Lafontaine
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

Thanks for this fast answer.

The uneven bevel is out of the box. So factory made. And ill have a good amount of steel to get on before reprofiling the blade… Might take an hour or so.

And don’t worry im counting my strokes and trying to get the bevel as center as i can bare eye.

Good night every one.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

He Rene,

Welcome to the forum! And congrats with your WEPS. It seems like you can actually put it to good use :cheer: . SOG doesn’t have the best reputation when it comes to factory sharpening, so that uneven bevel is almost certainly not intentional.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.