Advanced Search

Newbie Strop Help

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Newbie Strop Help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jordanzwon1
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello all! I am a hobbyist knife maker and am brand new to WE.  I just got a WE100 as I thought it would be good to refine the edges on certain grinds before sending to customers.  Specifically any knife I make with a secondary bevel.  Most my knives are bushcraft / hunting knives so no need for a mirror finish, however I would like a polished finish. I need help picking out with strop set / compound I need….the micron terms confuse me.

here is what I have:

100/200 diamond stone

400/600 diamond stone

800/1000 diamond stone

1500/2200 diamond stone.

I don’t believe I need to go much higher than that but would like to end with a strip to refine the edge.  What is the next strop progression you think I should get?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jordanzwon1
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello all! I am a hobbyist knife maker and am brand new to WE. I just got a WE100 as I thought it would be good to refine the edges on certain grinds before sending to customers. Specifically any knife I make with a secondary bevel. Most my knives are bushcraft / hunting knives so no need for a mirror finish, however I would like a polished finish. I need help picking out with strop set / compound I need….the micron terms confuse me. here is what I have: 100/200 diamond stone 400/600 diamond stone 800/1000 diamond stone 1500/2200 diamond stone. I don’t believe I need to go much higher than that but would like to end with a strip to refine the edge. What is the next strop progression you think I should get?

Sorry I meant strop not strip

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum Jordanzwon1,

Stropping is a skill set all unto itself….that said, strops work differently then sharpening stones.  The diamond abrasives are affixed and stationary with sharpening stones. Where as, with strops the abrasives are mixed into strop compounds that are simply applied onto the strop’s surface.  These diamonds are neither affixed or stationary.  The stropping abrasives applied to the leather strop may become embedded into the leather surface.  Even still the abrasives can roll and slide across the leather as the strops are used on the knife edge.

The strop abrasives cause more of a burnishing effect.  Burnishing is seen as a polishing or smoothing over of the steel surface.  All of the strop compounds are made with relatively small abrasive particles of fine grits.  Even the most coarse stropping compounds.  I like to think about stropping by itself.  It doesn’t really matter too much to align the strop medium grit progressions with the sharpening progression.  We can use a strop succession of medium fine, to fine and then to ultrafine grit stropping compounds following any sharpening session.

I always finish any knife I’m sharpening with stropping.  I prefer to use at least the 4µ/2µ diamond emulsion spray compound pair on leather strops.  This gives me a good balance between smoothing and polishing.   This simple two grit strop progression enhances sharpness and smooths the cutting edge and bevel shoulders to provide easier penetration and passing through the substrate being cut.  I may follow this up with a second strop paddle with the 1µ/0.5µ strop compound pair if I’m seeking a more polished appearance.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.