Advanced Search

Newbie needs help

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie needs help

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I like Tom’s idea of doing a convex bevel on this knife. That would probably work well.

Edit: Putting a convex edge on a knife is a more involved process than the typical way that you sharpen with the WE. You might want to stick with the basics until you’re more confident.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Organic.
    Karl
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 16

Thank you for all the help gentlemen, I was hoping the learning curve would be shorter… but, I am enjoying the learning process.

Karl
    Participant

I just watched Clay’s vid on how to make a convex edge.  Gonna try it on this little guy.  Would hate to mess up my 110…

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Karl
    Participant

Put the 110 back on the bench.  I used the 1000 grit at 25 degrees, then 24 degrees… and then stropped it at 21 degrees.  Good stuff.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think you’ll find as your knowledge grows and your technique becomes more refined that the learning curve never truly ends. Each knife presents an opportunity to try something different. That is part of what makes sharpening a hobby unto itself rather than just a means to an end for me. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy using my knives as well, but I enjoy sharpening more than I enjoy using knives. That probably makes me an odd fellow, but I already knew that about myself.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.