Advanced Search

Newbie choices

Recent Forums Main Forum Newbie choices

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tom Shoeman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hello. I’m going to purchase a WE system. I was looking at pro pack 1, is this a good choice starting point or what would you recommend. Best bang for the buck kinda thing. Thanks for any help and look forward to learning from you

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Plain and simply, with Wicked Edge Sharpeners, you get what you pay for.  The more you spend the better the model and the simpler and the easier to use the sharpener model is. None of the sharpeners are bad.  They all allow you to achieve the same sharp edge, just not as simply and easily.  The more you spend the easier it is for you to learn how and to do this.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Tom Shoeman
    Participant

So would you say go with pro pack 2 or different non pro pack and add ons. This is about the limit to my budget

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

seems like a lot of money for a knife sharpener.. as a coworker told me.. for that price you can just buy a new set of knives every year till you die..  Of course he was joking ..  I got the WE 120.. should have gotten the propack III as I ended up buying piece by piece over a few months later and would have saved money upfront had I got it all together.. Buy what you can afford and can justify spending you can add to it as you go..

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

IMO the WE130 is the best balance between ease of use, ease of adjustability and value.  If you break it down there is a little savings when you purchase a Pro Pack model vs buying the components separately, but not a really big savings. Like airscapes said, many of us started small and shortly later ended up spending much more by upgrading our set ups.  In reality we would have been better off bitting the bullet at the beginning and spending more to start off.

IMO, the WE130 is much easier to use then the WE120.  I started with the Pro Pack 2 about 5 years ago before there was a WE130.  Now I own and use all the models.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have to speak up in disagreement with Bandaid on the “suckiness” of the W100 vise.  I have one and have had no problems working with all kinds of knives except heavily-beveled daggers.  There are solutions to mounting almost any knife and reports of bent jaws are almost certainly caused by users “cranking” unnecessarily on the jack screw in attempts to lock onto a blade that is probably not positioned correctly.  Even where the user is at fault, WE has been replacing such vises on warranty.

With regard to the vise not holding Spyderco’s (or any FFG knife) vertical, it should be understood that every one of the similarly-configured sharpening systems’ vises work exactly the same way.  If you mount the blade with one face-bevel flat against one jaw, it’s going to be out of vertical, or horizontal as the case may be.  Period.  You can use that to your advantage, live with the offset, or wring your hands over the resultant mismatch.  For the horizontal rigs, 99% of the users never leaned over to see if the pizza crust – (oops, never mind) the blade was centered in the jaw.

That said, I’m in the W130 camp, all the way, in terms of value.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Tom Shoeman
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I think I’m going with the generation 3 pro, it comes with less stones and add ons but I can add to it along the way as suggested. It seems to be a pretty rock solid and easy to use set up. Thanks again. Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.