Advanced Search

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TangoSierra
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

I just ordered The Field & Sport Pro (2016 version) off Amazon after spending three days comparing the different models on YouTube and The Wicked Edge WWW site. Was going to pre-order the GO but I found the F&S Pro (2016) on Amazon for only $115 more than the combined cost of the GO with the same stones as the F&S Pro. I thought the $115 was easily worth the cam locking system and micro angle adjustments. Also ordered the digital protractor and have made a list of other items to buy in the future. I have a modest collection of six folding knives and Leatherman Charge AL to maintain but most of all I wanted it so I could restore my 45-year-old set of Chicago Cutlery. I took the kitchen knives to a supposed sharpener but he didn’t even restore the long worn down bevels. I’m sure when I have the system set up I will be back to ask advice with restoring my worn out knives but I’ll practice first on some old cheap cutlery laying around that I never use.

I’ll set the WE up in this room.

Attachments:
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Nice reloading work space, I’m a little jealous. Welcome Tango and I think you made a good choice. The GO would have done what you needed but the Field and Sport pro will prove to be more versatile I believe and the micro adjustment is nice to have matching bevels on knives. Make sure your stones are well broken in before you do the knives your looking for great results on, sounds like you have a good handle on that. Those knives you never use…you might find you have use for them after all even using them to break in the stones. That’s an amazing deal on your sharpener and I’m sure you will love it. I would recommend a set of strops, maybe 5/3.5 diamond paste on leather, not very expensive and works very good, or the 4/2 emulsion on leather or kangaroo leather if you don’t mind the extra $. I love the kangaroo leather personally. After a set of strops my next recommendation would be the 1500/platen with 6 or 3 micron diamond lapping film.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome TangoSierra, nice bench.  A stool and an over head light and a little overhanging board to clamp to and you’ll be sharpening in no time.  Old timey Chicago Cutlery sharpen up nice, enjoy.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome TangoSierra!

I think you made a wise choice on the sharpener you purchased and you got an amazing deal on it as well. If you’re like the rest of us here you’ll find that sharpening is a highly enjoyable activity and the Wicked Edge systems allow uncoordinated people like myself obtain results that are both functionally and cosmetically superb. You’ll laugh at the thought of paying the local sharpener to work on your knives once you’ve done a blade or two (and that’s before the stones break in).

4 users thanked author for this post.
    David
    Participant
    • Replies: 37

Welcome TangoSierra! The folks here on the forum are very nice and helpful. There is tons of information here. The welcome question anytime. Enjoy you new Wicked edge system.

TangoSierra

Thanks everyone for the welcome. To those who offered advice, thank you.

I already had the following future purchase list put together before I ordered the WE.

Kangaroo strops
    5/3.5 Micron Diamond Paste or 4/2 Diamond Emulsions
    1500 stones/Glass Platens
    6 Micron Film sheet

Not sure about 1200/1600 ceramic stones.

When I was considering the GO, I had the stones that come with the F&S Pro on the futures list but now I don’t need to worry about that.

I’m really stoked and can’t wait for the system to arrive and start practicing.

Here are a few of the knives that need restoration and a few others that will benefit from some WE maintenance.

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You’ve got some nice pocket knives in that collection. It’s a shame that Benchmade discontinued the 710 this year. Which model of automatic knife is that serrated one? I’d like to have a few automatic knives but they aren’t legal to carry in the people’s democratic republic of Massachusetts.

TangoSierra

I’ve had that Benchmade 710 for 15 years and it has spent a lot of time in my pocket. I live in Rural North Central Illinois and when I go to visit family in Chicago I can’t carry it because it exceeds Chgo blade length limits. Can’t carry any knife when I go to VA clinics or hospitals either. In Illinois this past August it became legal for holders of an Illinois FOID card (Firearms Owners Identification Card) to carry an automatic knife, except in Chicago and maybe a few other suburbs. So when I was in Tennessee last month for my nephew’s wedding I stopped at Smoky Mountain Knife Works and picked up the Benchmade Rukus II Automatic (http://knifenews.com/benchmade-deploys-new-rukus-ii-black-class-auto/). That store was incredible; large as a Super Walmart and almost all knives, and packed with customers. I hadn’t purchased a knife in a dozen years and the Rukus got the juices flowing so I ordered the Spyderco Manix 2 in CPM S110V just after I got home from Tennessee.  The Spidy was crazy sharp out of the box and has become my main EDC. I also have a Benchmade 941 Osborne and Kershaw Avalanche somewhere in the house but I haven’t been able to find them for the last 4 or 5 years. I hate it when I hide something and can’t remember where I put it.

Attachments:
    TangoSierra

Benchmade Rukus II

Benchmade Deploys New Rukus II Black Class Auto

5 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Not sure about 1200/1600 ceramic stones.

Tango while I like the ceramic stones, I have the 1200/1600 and the 1.4/.6 micro ceramic, they take a while to break in and I believe that you would be better served with an extra set of strops 1/.5 emulsion to go with the 4/2’s and/or lapping films, say 3/1.5 micron to go with your 6 micron film. The ceramic stones work well but are an entirely different medium. I use mine mostly for micro beveling but they do get the edge ready for my lapping films. The lapping films are the ones that I have the least experience with but they work well for there purpose, I’ve been incorporating them more and more into the bag of tricks LOL. The ceramic stones on there own leave kind of a burnished finish and take longer to use as they don’t remove metal very fast. Some don’t like the finish with them, I’ve found use for them mainly on hunting knives that I want to leave some tooth in the edge. They smooth the bevel some and get it ready for a light stropping. I don’t want to encourage or discourage your decision just trying to let you know what I’ve experienced with them. With the diamond stones I generally go from 1000 to the 1500’s. The 1200/1600 ceramic really don’t fit well in that progression in my humble opinion. The 1500’s are amazing and I can’t recommend those enough.

TangoSierra

Organic,
    I’ve had the McHenry & Williams 710 for fifteen years and find it to be a very useful EDC, especially when eating out and the restaurant knife leaves a lot to be desired for cutting the food. I also have a 15 year old Benchmade 941 Osborne which was my EDC when going into Chicago because the 710 exceeds Chgo blade length limits. Unfortunately, I can’t find the Osborne the last couple of years. I hate it when I hide things and can’t remember where I put the item.

As to the auto knife; here in Illinois this last August it became legal for holders of an Illinois FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification Card) to carry an auto knife (except in Chicago and maybe a few suburbs). So, last month when attending my nephew’s wedding in southeast Tennessee I stopped at Rocky Mountain Knife Works which is just an incredible store. Big as a Super Walmart and 99% about cutting tools and I couldn’t resist purchasing the Benchmade Rukus II along with a Leatherman Charge AL This was the first time I’ve purchased a knife in a dozen years but now the juices are flowing again so I ordered online a Spyderco Manix 2 in CPM S110V. I think I’ve found my EDC (for awhile) in the Spidy which is only 3 ounces and was the sharpest out of the box production knife I’ve purchased in my limited experience.

I just checked and the WE is due to arrive tomorrow. I’m normally very patient when waiting for a purchase to arrive but this time I’m like an eight year old on Christmas Eve. Good thing I’m retired so I’ll have all the time in the world to practice sharpening.

This was my folder collection prior to last month. All purchased in a six week period in 2002. Like the Osborne, I can’t find the Kershaw.

Attachments:
    Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Replies: 24

I have been using my F&S Pro for about a year now and very happy with it. I ordered the Paperstone base with mine. I picked up the Advanced Alignment Guide and the5/3.5 Micron Diamond and Leather Strops Pack when I was at The Blade Show in Atlanta. Got to meet Clay and Kyle and Clay sharpened my Sebenza 21 Unique Graphics for me.

I picked up some knives from the Goodwill store to practice and break-in the stones before I started on my knives.

TangoSierra

Fuelboat,

Did you choose the Paperstone Base because it would be easier to drill a mounting hole for the F&S  than it would have with the other base choices, or was there a different reason?

By the way, IT’S HERE!  Now that the GO price is up to $199 my deal looks even better. Only $66 for the cam locking system and micro adjustments.

Attachments:
    Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Replies: 24

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>I got the Paperbase over the Granite because thought it would not break if it got dropped (have not dropped it yet). I wanted a way to mount the sharpener without using the C-clamp. When I ordered it, Wicked Edge drilled the hole for me to work with the sharpener. I cut out a section of the foam to store the Angle Gauge and Scissor Attachment.</span>

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.