Advanced Search

Newbe Questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Newbe Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I just started to use the WE130.  I’ve been using Naniwa stones for a while but thought I’d give this a try.  Anyway, how are you guys handling smaller blades like on a pocketknife or Leatherman?  Also, after my first sharpening there is a lot of shavings in the jaws, do those come apart for cleaning?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The two pins that hold the jaws in can be pushed out with a smaller pin.  Hold the jaws together while you do this so as not to let fly the small spring that holds the jaws apart.  You should be able to lift the jaws right out.  After cleaning the jaws’ cam surfaces, you can also blow out any debris from below.

Most of us have stumbled onto the problem of the small knife at one time or another. Tormek makes a small knife holder (TOR-SVM00 at Amazon for $35) for their rig and it works just as well for the WE.  It has a clamp which holds the handle and a steel tab sticking out which clamps perfectly in the WE clamps.  When the adapter is mounted in the vise and the small knife is mounted in the clamp, the blade is positioned right above the WE vise, perfectly for sharpening.    Because the edge is mounted higher than normal, the WE is capable of grinding lower angles than normal.  One of our members  mounted his Tormek adapter in his WE Low Angle Adapter and was able to reach angles in the 6 to 8 degree range.   I don’t recall if he had also added a spacer under the vise – called a”riser block.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This video is about installing the jaws for thicker blades it should help you do what @tcmeyer describes: https://youtu.be/7dwsSk0FiIo?t=52

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.