Advanced Search

New WE owner (soon)

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New WE owner (soon)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tim McKusker
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 6

Thanks for the wealth of information here guys. I added the Chosera 2k/3k to my order based on the info on the WE page, “3000 grit combination picks up perfectly from the 1000 grit diamond stone”. When my kit gets here tomorrow I will see how it all works before I consider adding another stone set.

Tim

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Hi guys. Well I pulled the trigger on a Pro Pack 2. …… So I went all in with the PP2 kit, case, and Chosera 2k/3k stone set. I look forward to learning on this system. ….. This system should keep me busy for quite some time. Will have to dig out some old kitchen knives to try out the new system, before I start on the real knives.

I predict no buyer’s remorse! (A pretty easy prediction to make… especially if you’re already here on the forum initiating excellent threads like this one!!)

I got my PP2 just over a year ago. I just got the basic package but have since added the 50/80 grinder steels and the VSTA. So, that’s my progression — stock, so to speak. Typically, just doing kitchen knives I don’t even use the whole set, but usually on friends nicer EDC I will use the whole “stock” progression.

Thinking about it now, I’d hazard a guess 90% of the population of Seattle has never seen sharper knives and I know none of my friends have.

So, just my perspective from the bottom looking up. The stock progression results in an edge that is far superior in “most” people’s experience.

That being said, this is not a forum for most people.

That being said, when I feel more competent and want to really hang with the masters here (and, with all due respect, the truly OCD) then I’ll step up to the Chosera’s and another set of strops.

In the meantime, this thread reads nearly like a master’s thesis. The foundational and functional collective knowledge (wisdom?) you’ve stirred up is great!!

A piece of advice many here have mentioned elsewhere and my brother emphasized to me. Your intro made it sound like you may also sharpen by hand. In which case you probably already…..Listen.

My brother said I should put a microphone nearby and amplify the sound. The sound gives my wife chills but, there is some good information coming from the sweet sound of the stone and steel.

Welcome. Enjoy. And thanks again for stirring things up. Keeps us all sharp.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Kyle Kaplan
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 27

Hi Tim

Welcome to the Wicked Edge community. This grit progression is what I have found to work the best when you are using the Pro-Pack II and 2000/3000 grit Chosera waterstones:

100 grit diamond stone
    200 grit diamond stone
    400 grit diamond stone
    600 grit diamond stone
    800 grit diamond stone
    1000 grit diamond stone
    1.4 micron ceramic (says coarse on handle)
    0.6 micron ceramic (says fine on handle)
    2000 grit chosera waterstone
    3000 grit chosera waterstone
    1 micron leather strop
    0.5 micron leather strop

Happy sharpening!

-Kyle

Beckbuilt
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Jetech, I’ll buy your sharp maker if you want to sell. I noticed this device and would like to get one, but price is way out of my league for the kitchen knife sharpener. Then I was trying to find if this device will do serrated blades and so far I assume you need triangle stones based upon other posters. No doubt this appears to be in a class all its own and the quality and precision are the best. Maybe some day. New and young to the sharpener industry and knives in general. Contact me if you would be interested.

Tim McKusker
    Participant

Jetech, I’ll buy your sharp maker if you want to sell. I noticed this device and would like to get one,

Beckbilt, I don’t plan to get rid of the Spyderco sharpener for quite some time. Once I have a WEPS edge on everything I own maybe I will consider it. I do have a set of Norton waterstones and an Edge Pro I will be looking to get rid of. The Spyderco is a great system “if” your knives are not too far gone to the dull side.

Tim McKusker
    Participant

Well all the pieces to my WEPS kit arrived today. Very impressed with the quality of the kit. I did a quick sharpen on a very old Pampered Chef small paring knife. I profiled and went through 1000 grit in the diamonds, 1.4/0.6 ceramics and the Chosera 2K/3K stone. The ceramics started to build the mirror finish, but the Chosera certainly bring out the mirror finish. I am looking forward to getting the stones broken in so I can get the best edge on my better knives. I have some other old kitchen knives that I will practice on tomorrow. I must say the micro-adjust on the ball joint arms is and awesome but much needed feature. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.