Advanced Search

New WE 130 owner from TN.

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New WE 130 owner from TN.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    T. Pollock
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Former knife maker, sharpening nerd and knife lover. I love the outdoors and love knives. I have a question about my new sharpener so I thought I’d do a short introduction and then try to find the proper place to ask my question if I can’t find a place that it has already been asked.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

Welcome to the forum!  Most everything has been asked at some point in time as the WE has been around for a while, but many times the search feature is not all that helpful.  If you can not find the info, please ask,  folks will  either answer outright or point you to a post that has the answers!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    T. Pollock
    Participant

Thank you airscapes! I did a little searching but wasn’t able to find the topic so far. I had an accident a few years ago that left me with a brain injury so I’m not the best at articulating sometimes. I’m not sure how to describe my issue but if I don’t find it I’ll attempt to explain and ask… somewhere. ;- )

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Welcome to the forum!  Ask away, lots of knowledge here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    T. Pollock
    Participant

Thank you Richard! I wasn’t sure how to word my question so I called and spoke with Kyle. He said it was a common thing, a limitation of the WE system.

I was sharpening a Spyderco Native 5 with FFG and it of course has no sharpening choil.  Since the plastic base of the stones protrudes about 1/8″ wider than the actual diamond stone, the plastic was riding up on the ricasso of the knife and not allowing me to sharpen all the way to the heel of the edge. Kyle said some have popped off the stones and place a same size piece of aluminum under the diamond stone to give more clearance. I asked about filing perhaps a 45 deg bevel on the plastic base and he said some folks have done that as well to allow the stone to get closer to the ricasso.

If you guys have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thank you guys for the welcome and the willingness to help!

Tim

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4KE3pNyPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x46zTF7R98

There are several more videos on this same subject along with these two videos I linked here.  I invite you to view these and check the other’s out.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by MarcH.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jeff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 40

Hey Tim I’m a bit of a Spyderco fanboy with lots of them to sharpen so I certainly understand that frustration.  I took the route of modifying slightly the stones as I’m not a fan of grinding sharpening choils in the blade.  I cut the plastic edge off of one side of each stone grit.  Did it on opposing corners so as you rotate the stone around the guide rod to change grits the removed plastic edge is still rearward next the ricasso.  It is very easy to do with a box cutter taking multiple light passes to slowly score the plastic until you are all the way through using the edge of the stone as a guide for the blade.   I can sharpen right tight in next the ricasso now with no issues.  Just have to take a little extra time and care in that area when sharpening.  See attached pictures.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    T. Pollock
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4KE3pNyPE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x46zTF7R98 There are several more videos on this same subject along with these two videos I linked here. I invite you to view these and check the other’s out.

Hey Tim I’m a bit of a Spyderco fanboy with lots of them to sharpen so I certainly understand that frustration. I took the route of modifying slightly the stones as I’m not a fan of grinding sharpening choils in the blade. I cut the plastic edge off of one side of each stone grit. Did it on opposing corners so as you rotate the stone around the guide rod to change grits the removed plastic edge is still rearward next the ricasso. It is very easy to do with a box cutter taking multiple light passes to slowly score the plastic until you are all the way through using the edge of the stone as a guide for the blade. I can sharpen right tight in next the ricasso now with no issues. Just have to take a little extra time and care in that area when sharpening. See attached pictures. Good luck with whatever route you take.

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to help out the new guy!!! I really appreciate the photos and links to the videos. I’m off to watch them right now.

Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.