Advanced Search

New Video: Kershaw Skyline Dull to Hair Whittling!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies New Video: Kershaw Skyline Dull to Hair Whittling!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jarve
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 12

How’s it going guys, I just put together a new Wicked Edge sharpening video of a very dull Kershaw Skyline starting with the 50/80 grit working all the way up to the 0.25 micron diamond spray on leather strops. The end result is a perfectly flat bevel with a mirror polished finish that is as sharp as a Mach 3 Turbo.
    Grits & stones used: 50/80, 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000, 1200/1600 ceramic, 2000/2500 sandpaper taped to the ceramics, & then stropped with 5/3.5, 0.5/0.25 micron.

Please check out MODiFiEDZ videos & subscribe if you would like to see future vids.
    Thanks

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 41

Thanks

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

hey man, that is a great video! Thanks for posting it up for us… excellent info!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

What an excellent video mate! You showed it all, right from re-profiling the edge, to mounting the burr to raising a toothy edge and right on up to hair-whittling, molecule sharpened edge! You showed the strengths of the WEPS clearly and gave a lot of good advice along the whole way! Huzzahs for you my friend! :woohoo:

Best regards Chris
    Leo

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

..The end result….that is as sharp as a Mach 3 Turbo.
    Gr.

how do you know how sharp it is ? do you have a jig that measures the sharpness of your result as a metric that you can trust against a known standard? Why do you feel phone book paper is good enough a ‘test’. Also, definitions of the word ‘sharp’ is very tricky ground to walk on.

There is a group of us that are looking at developing sharpness testers that will be in the reach of, and meaningful to the kind of knife sharpening work that you show us here.

Nice video, great lighting, etc. Keep up the good work.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Excellent video!

Just not sure about the added value of the sandpaper. For measuring sandpaper coarseness, the FEPA-P scale is usually used, which is different from the ANSI scale used for the WEPS stones. According to this chart, P2000 and P2500 are coarser than the WEPS 1200 grit ceramic stones.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

Excellent video, should be the bench mark on how to properly sharpen a knife.

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

..The end result….that is as sharp as a Mach 3 Turbo.
    Gr.

how do you know how sharp it is ?

There is a group of us that are looking at developing sharpness testers that will be in the reach of, and meaningful to the kind of knife sharpening work that you show us here. [/quote]

Hey BLD,
    Great observation! One way that I have been involved with measuring “Sharpness” of a cutting surface is by durometer of material that closely mirrors the target tissue or material to be cut. One would have to have a baseline “Durometer or material density” to qantify what the range of acceptable penetration would be. When I was working in ultrasonic vibratory blade developement we used Si sheet that mirrored human skin to accomplish that feat. The density of the skin was found by using a particular load cell and an Instron machine to see what the force to cut in gms/mm would be on a sample of skin, and then mirror that in the Si sheet selection for QC.

Maybe we can get a baseline standard for an “Edge” thickness and distance. Interesting stuff.

mike allen
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

That was a very helpful video. Good stuff.

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

… I have been involved with measuring “Sharpness” of a cutting surface …

Maybe we can get a baseline standard for an “Edge” thickness and distance. Interesting stuff.

Steven,

Sorry it took me so long to find your post here. As they say “we need to talk..” I have sent you a PM -Dan

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Replies: 49

Hey Dan,

I got it … site dumped my message box for some reason? Please send your email via PM again please.

SPIN

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.