Advanced Search

New user of the Wicked Edge needs tips!

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started New user of the Wicked Edge needs tips!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alan Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

Good afternoon everyone,
    I just purchased my first Wicked Edge Base model Sharpening system. I did alot of research and decided to get the best in my opinion from the start. I am 60 years old, and have been camping, hunting and hiking for most of my life. I have always struggled to get a good edge on a knife. I was using a flat stone and just never could figure out the angles and usually ended up turning the blade, or simply wasting time.
    I collect Case XX knives and have some from the 50’s. I just invested in the Esse 5, and what a knife. I will never have to replace it and I am sure my Grandson will own it someday. I also have some KaBar blades.
    Does anyone know what angle I should use on the Esse 5.
    I plan to mount my system to a piece of authentic butcher block. I think that will work well, other than the weight of it. This way I can stick the knives in it as I finish them.
    Any tips you want to share, I am all ears, in the case, all eyes.. I promise to read every single response.
    Alan

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your WEPS! I have mounted my WEPS on a butcher block, too. Very authentic, from IKEA 😆 .

We’ve got a knife database here: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/resources2/knife-database?option=com_joodb&view=catalog&format=html&reset=false&ordering=&orderby=&Itemid=255&task=&search=esee&searchfield=&limit=10 . You can search it for all sorts of knives. The settings for all ESEE knives are around 20-22 degrees. You could also put a convex edge on it.

There’s a lot more tips for beginners under Resources / FAQ and Resources / Wicked Edge Wiki.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Hey bud. Mount your knife into the Wicked edge clamp. Then Mark the bevel with a sharpie. Then move the arms in or out and try 1000 gritstone over the edge until one stroke removes all of the sharpie. Once you have removed all of the sharpie you know you have reached the factory edge angle. If you want to resharpen at the factory angle go ahead and sharpen at this point. If you would like to increase the angle , go ahead and drop the angle a degree or two. A lower angle will give you better slicing ability but will reduce the strength of the edge. Let me know if this helps at all. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

Thank you for the tip. That will definitely help me to figurr out the angles to sharpen at if I cannot find the Mfg. listing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.