Advanced Search

New USB Microscope

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ryder
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 8

So right now I have a 40x jewelers loop and I’m hoping to upgrade to a microscope. Unfortunately I’m not often at home when I sharpen so one that plugs into a computer isn’t the most practical. I found this one https://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Borescope-Microscope-Professional-Multi-functional/dp/B00J7PE7R6 that hooks can hook up to a phone with wi-fi. Anyone have any experience with it or something similar that will hook up to an iPhone or ipad?

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

To me it looks like the Scope lens protrudes from the end, that would not be good for running the scope along the knifes edge. Have you thought about a Tablet for a USB scope. I use an old laptop for my Veho.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Alan, Many of us use our microscopes, Hand-held, not on the stand.  We hold the scope against the clamped knife’s bevel and slide it along while we inspect the edge in the video screen.  Now I do use a laptop.  Initially I started using this microscope, with my Android Device, (it’s supposedly compatible with iPhones). I did need an adaptor to connect to the Android phone and you probably need an iPhone adaptor, too.

This is a less expensive route for the new user.  I still to this day use and favor that same model USB Microscope for my sharpening while using my laptop at my sharpening station.

There is nothing wrong with newer, better technology like the Bluetooth wireless Microscope.  Just remember you need to keep everything charged, too.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

I have one of those cheap generic USB microscopes and I can connect it to my Android phone with a $0.40  OTG adapter

I than use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vaultmicro.camerafi

Marc H

Alan Ryder, here’s a model USB Microscope with WIFI that appears wireless.  No adapters and no wires! It says it’s compatible with your apple device.   It fits your description and it’s less expensive and less complicated then the model you posted.  Might be good for you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Re: microscopes.  I had received yesterday a Belomo $33 10x loupe.  From various threads some said thats all I needed.  I found it to be inconvenient to use having to put my face right up to the blade and having to try and move loupe in and out to focus or removing it and having roll blade ange just right the worst was trying to view an edge while knife was still in vice (I really dont want to take it out each time just to view the edge).  And holding a flashlight to light up the edge with the other hand (I did not like those cheap LED magnifiers either)  So this Belomo loupe is only worth about $8 IMO anyway.  I just returned it back to amazon and ordered this model MarcH found online:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Handheld-Digital-Microscope-Android/dp/B00YP37ZL0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1516289245&sr=8-16&keywords=usb+microscope+wifi

I don’t own any PC laptops anymore just an iphone and two ipads and an Imac desktop on my kitchen table (with my workshop one flight up) so the mac is out for me to use a USB microsope.  What I’ve been looking for was a microscope that would connect wirelessly with ipad or iphone.  I returned the $33 loupe todaay, so its like this $100 scope is only costing me $67 now.  Only 5 reviews on amazon for it.  But only 1 review said they had issues connecting it to their ipad.  Worth a try as I was nervous using the loupe while waiting to hear the sound of the tip of my nose slicing off and plopping onto table :o(

I’ll report back here on its quaility, connectability and useability for viewing edges.  At least I can snap a pic from a button on it too which is convenient.  If no good . . .  amazon is great at taking items back.

• Its probably being dropped shipped from China as it has a March 23rd to April 3rd delivery date and todays only March 3rd.
    Marc H

I had the exact experience using the loupe.  I too feared having my face and hands so close to the edge.

Please review the WIFI microscope and post to this Forum.  I’m sure there are others, including myself that would like to know how well it works.

(Since getting my WE several years ago I found myself ordering often from Amazon so the “Prime” membership was really a time and money saver).

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.