Advanced Search

New touch up thought

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I’ve been thinking about the free hand touch up challenge especially in the kitchen. In lieu of setting up our WEPS (inconvenient at best) for a few passes, I use a ceramic rod which under the scope gives our gorgeous WEPS bevel no love; it’s sharper but the WEPS bevel is on its way out (and a steel is much worse). There are other options to get an edge but none of them seem to last nor be as sharp as it was coming out of the WEPS. Its the same root cause that WEPS solved — some form of fixturing to minimize the various variabilities. The Spyder approach is interesting but expecting someone to hold a knife exactly vertical over a full knife edge to fully sharpen (not just touch up) is nuts. Plus the grit selection is for the birds. You might as well go freehand and develop your ability to feel that you are riding the bevel exactly. Anyway here is my idea:

Come up with a fixture that will hold 2 WEPS paddles in a few cross angled scissor patterns. Because the paddle surface is 3/4″ wide and there are 2 of them you would have a natural frame of reference for holding the knife vertical. You easily also incorporate some posts to help guide the knife to vertical. The real power here is that you could use any of our fine grits and even strops (I bet) plus with the Angle Gauge you could check the angles quick to make sure you are honoring the angle you put on it when it was in the WEPS.

Spyder-type_LI
    Fixture

Attachments:
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

You don’t leave your WE out and ready to go all the time? IMHO, the first new thing that they should make is wide jaws for thin knives, like fillet knives for instance.

Readheads
    Participant

I agree. Been saying that for 2+ years. Came up with my own rube golberg.20200522_004858

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant

May use it tomorrow, will show video or pic

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I guess that will work. I don’t need wide jaws for myself but there might be a bunch of fishermen that would like them.

Readheads
    Participant

Pic below, I still had interference issues trying to put a 17 DPS edge on the knife. I could have done some grinding on the high rise but I didn’t have the equipment with me. Had to go to the standard clamp and do 3 sections with knife moves which requires blending which is a major PIA. The edge came out mirrored but with a keen eye you can see the 2 blends. I will not do blending again.

High-rise
    Arts-chicago-filet

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve had that same knife at one time or another.  Note that you can clamp it higher in the vise than what your photo shows.  Anything above the flat part of the blade isn’t being held by the vise anyway.  This ought to get you a lower angle.  If it doesn’t hold properly, the top edge of the vise is probably bent.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.