Advanced Search

New to using belt sanders

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives New to using belt sanders

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joshua
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hello everybody, I have a question for removing material via belt sander. I have a vertical set up, and I’m new to using them on knives. I’m trying to take the nicks out of a chef knife, but I’m having trouble with the blade bouncing off as I try to run it along the belt. I want to ensure a smooth and consistent surface, so I wanted to ask for some tips? I don’t want to press to firmly into the belt and end up removing too much material, but I also want to avoid the skipping problem. Any tips for a newbie?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Joshua, There are many instructive YouTube videos you can watch that may help you learn to use your belt sander.

Here’s a link to a Knife Sharpener, a Wicked Edge user, and in the past, a W.E. forum participant.  You might want to check out his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp16WaVffmeglWvW-fDQ4dQ

Cliff has many worthwhile videos including knife sharpening and damage repair with belt sanders/grinders.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

jhonnichole
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Just watch youtube videos on this topic

Donkey
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

MarcH said what I came here to say. Go watch some of Clifs videos and he will answer just and every question you could have.

I made my belt sharpener based off his advice and have never had an issue.

Of you have any specific questions feel free to ask and we will help where we can. Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.