Advanced Search

New system

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started New system

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

-Terry, we’re attempting to answer all of your questions in this one thread from the very start, greeting a newcomer, into and through some direct sharpening technique questions, throughout the entire sharpening process.  I don’t see any reason not to help you out.  After-all it is your thread you started.  The only problem I see is there is so many different questions and such a variety of subject matter covered in this one thread, that it makes it difficult for the more casual forum readers to determine the threads subject matter and contribute their specific experiences.  It may become a jumbled messy discussion.

This is why we have a Forum broken down by categories to help put the questions in the matching categories.  It will help to steer conversations and keep them more subject centered.  Then each individual question can better and more thoroughly be asked and answered while avoiding the cross conversation from previously asked questions further up the thread.  It also becomes more helpful to the other Forum readers who are reading the thread titles while searching for “subject centered” answers to their own issues.

When trying to keep up with the questions on a single multi conversation thread like this, the questions and answers come to often and fast.   It may become a jumbled mess.

The subject of stropping is a whole different technique in itself requiring adjustments in your angle settings.  If stropping is not done properly it can round off and ruin a perfectly done sharp knife edge. I, like “Organic” employ stropping,  I finish every sharpening sequence with at least the 4µ/2µ strop pair.  It’s recommended that you reduce your angle setting by 1º-2º to a more acute angle setting when using the strops to help avoid rounding off the edge.  Stropping as I said is a technique all unto itself requiring it’s own skill and technique to do it well.

USB Microscopes were recently discussed on this Forum, not too long ago and are often a subject that is revisited.  I suggest to take advantage of the good and possibly more thorough discussions you look back through the last several recent pages of Forum threads for these earlier conversations.  Often a subject centered thread gets more thorough and more complete discussion then a mixed subject bag like this thread, -Terry.

That being said, my favorite usb scope, and I have purchased at least 6 different devices, is the first one I ever purchased and still the least expensive model.  The USB scope like every accessory or tool we employ to achieve better sharpening results requires it own learning curve and it’s own operating techniques to allow us to use and understand what we’re looking at and make the best of that information.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    -Terry
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 27

Sorry for all the confusion, and mixed content. I’ll try to keep my topics separated now.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Not intending to shut you down.  Just trying to help you get the most out of what this forum can offer.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.