Advanced Search

New stones

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    -Terry
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 27

Ok, so I began my system with 100-1000 grit stones, and I believe they are pretty much broken in. I just got new 1500/2200 stones. These are obviously not broken in. My concern is that when I finish with my 1000 grit, I’d like to progress to 1500, but with those stones not being broken in, it seems I would be going backwards with grits. How can I break these stones in, without ruining my 1000 grit finish? Thanks

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I would grab a knife that has been in service for a while and touch it up with the new stones.. Will take much more work to clean it up but will also break in the stones

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Im sure those with more knowledge will chime in.  I was thinking the same thing when I first started using my new 1500/2200/3000 stones, but I couldn’t have been more pleased with the results and still am.  There’s enough grit with the 1500s to make short work of the 1k grit lines and on down to 3k stones.  I’ve only a few knives so far, but that’s been the case with every blade I’ve done.  Believe me when I say, you’ll love these stones from the very start and they’ll only get better over time.  Good luck and enjoy,

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.