Advanced Search

New purchase

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos New purchase

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 30

Love this knife! Most expensive purchase to date. That title previously held by BM Osbourne 940. F&F is great, smooth deployment, solid lock up, and most importantly, it feels awesome in my hand.

Sauce

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Nice…. but what is it? 🙂

Daniel Saucier
    Participant

Nice…. but what is it? 🙂

Sorry, good question:P . Spyderco Southard Flipper. Spydies first flipper knife. Cts-204P steel. Titanium frame lock. Need just a little more practice before I mount her up in the WE!

Thanks again for the pic info Curtis. Did it right from my phone.

cbwx34
    Participant

Awesome, thanks. Haven’t kept up with Spyderco like I used to.

Glad the picture posting worked. Sometimes I screw up and get it right. 🙂

Pics when you sharpen it! :woohoo:

cbwx34
    Participant

Spyderco Southard Flipper. Spydies first flipper knife. Cts-204P steel. Titanium frame lock. Need just a little more practice before I mount her up in the WE!

Ran across a video of this knife being sharpened on the WE… thought it might interest you (if you haven’t already found it).

Daniel Saucier
    Participant

Thanks Curtis, seen that one a couple times. I keep up with the videos from smokeeater908, jdavis, m0difiedz and a couple others. Learned alot just from watching! :ohmy:
    Still lovin the spydie flipper so far.

Sauce

Adrian King
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 19

Just wondering, on that video, why is it he cant put a 30 degree edge on it?
    I’ve got a southard and like my 15/15 edges!

Wayne Reimer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 28

I have the Southard that inspired this Spyderco. I ordered a Spydie when they were released, thinking it would be a lesser quality knife with the same geometry as the Southard. I thought it would be an acceptable tradeoff as a user knife and I could then keep the Southard in really nice shape.

I was astounded when the Spyderco arrived; it is the best production knife patterned after a custom that I’ve ever seen. It’s fit, finish and action are superb; I have several custom knives that cost quite a bit more than the Spydie that aren’t made as well. I’d expected it would be 60-70% as good as the Southard; in reality it’s closer to 95% as good.

As for the angles; I don’t think he could get it locked in at 15 degrees without hitting the vise with the stones. I don’t know if I’d want this knife at 15 degrees per side; I went with 16 initially (32 inclusive) and found it was dulling very quickly. I went to 20 (40 degrees inclusive) and it’ll top arm hair all day long and I am touching it up once a week instead of daily

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.