Advanced Search

New Member – Question

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies New Member – Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daryl
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

I know I have a lot of reading to do. I recently received a Gen 3 Pro and purchased the 1500/Glass (came with 4000, 8000 and 14000 grit lapping films), 1200/1600 ceramic and 1/.5 leather strops.

What would be the best progression for a mirror polish? I’m not really sure where the ceramic stones fit in.

Lapping film vs. strop? I’m not clear on that either. Do I need to use both? I probably should have asked these questions before I started purchasing… Should I buy 14/10 or 5/3.5 strops or is all of this overkill?

I’ve used DMT diamond stones and whet stones for years with acceptable results, however, as my knives become more expensive, I’d like to have repeatable results without grinding too much steel or having angles change across the edge from free handing. I just finished an 8″ Wusthof Classic Ikon and that thing is hair popping sharp, but can’t seem to get a great polished look.

I’d appreciate it if someone could school me real quick on the ceramic vs. lapping strips vs. strops..

Thanks very much!!

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I know I have a lot of reading to do.  I’d appreciate it if someone could school me real quick on the ceramic vs. lapping strips vs. strops.. Thanks very much!!

Read this it may help give you an overview: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/stone-compound-and-grind-question/#post-45687

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Daryl
    Participant

Marc,

Thanks for the information. I finally had a chance to read through that thread. The way I understand the progression/mediums:

Diamond stones > Ceramic > Balsa strops > leather strops..

Where do the lapping films come into play? If I used a 1600 ceramic, should a 9 micron lapping film be used before or after?

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Either/or… lapping films or Ceramics

Diamond Stones >> Lapping Films>>Strops

Diamond Stones>>Ceramics>>Strops

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Daryl
    Participant

Got it! Thank you for your response.. Been reading for the past 3 hours. I have a feeling I’ll be reading for many more hours…

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.