Advanced Search

New member from Illinois

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New member from Illinois

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mickey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

I’ve been lurking here for a week and placed an order for a 2017 Gen 3 Pro that will arrive next week. I’m new to WE and am impressed with everything I have read here and seen on videos.  Forum members seem eager to share their knowledge and that is encouraging. I am a casual hobbyist and looking forward to making friends and picking your brains.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Lurking is harmless and allowed.  Welcome to the WE forum Mickey.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome Mickey! You’re beginning your journey to very sharp knives. The gen 3 pro is a great unit and I know you’re going to like it.

David
    Participant
    • Replies: 37

Welcome Mickey,

Mickey
    Participant

I noticed the Gen 3 pro does not come with an alignment guide like the pro pack 3 does. Do I need to get one?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I noticed the Gen 3 pro does not come with an alignment guide like the pro pack 3 does. Do I need to get one?

That is a good question, Mickey.  You’ll have to contact WE on that.  It probably does comes with the “old style” basic flat metal ruler “Alignment Guide” and the depth key.  The website details don’t state it, though.  The depth key and alignment guides are not a “suggested extra” so it must be included.  The Advanced Alignment Guide is sold as an extra for everything except the Pro-Pack III and is a nice handy extra to have.  Someone who recently purchased a Gen 3 Pro hopefully will chime in.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

My pre-2017 gen. 3 pro came with the standard alignment guide. I have since ordered the advanced alignment guide and use that almost exclusively. The standard alignment guide is fine, but the advanced alignment guide is easily worth the extra $8 in my opinion.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Hello Mickey, the advanced alignment guide makes repeating clamp placement very easy and repeatable. If your unit hasn’t shipped yet you could get them to ship it with the unit and if not I’m sure they’ll send one to you.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It is included with the kit.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Welcome! Great choice on choosing the Gen 3 Pro. I think you will enjoy

Since you said you have been lurking on the Forum awhile I’m sure you have read about starting out with old beater knives to get the hang of the WE system. If you don’t have any, the Dollar store is a great place to purchase some cheap knives to practice on and break your hones in. I was just in our local Dollar Store and they really do have a bunch of knives from $1-$5

Good Luck!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Pinkfloyd.
    Mickey
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies. I’m watching lots of videos and reading…building up to the big day next week when it gets here.

Mickey
    Participant

I got everything yesterday and set it up. It’s certainly a sharp looking machine!

I put a balisong in to practice set up and put into practice what I’ve read so far. I’m taking it slowly and can see there are many variables to deal with. The blade is asymmetric. I remove ink all on the left edge but the right one is still untouched for about 1/4” at the tip. I’m taking notes on what I’m doing and reading past posts on solutions.

Ive got to thank WE and all of you for the forum and information here.

also, Pinkfloyd – I stopped by dollar general and got a 3 piece kitchen set for $4. Thanks for the tip.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.