Advanced Search

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Member

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    P2Labs
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

Greetings all!! New member sporting my new Gen Pro 3. Hoping I can learn how to use this beast to keep my collection super sharp! I have quite a few folders (slipjoint and locking), automatic and fixed blades. Once I get the hang of this system they’ll all be razor sharp!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome go the Wicked Edge Forum and our community, P2Labs

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

P2Labs
    Participant

Thank you Marc! Just typing up my first query for a sub-forum…

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Welcome!  I have the same system.  Its great.  Read through the various threads to pick up tips from the more experienced regulars here.

Also, don’t attack your folders until you get about 15 kitchen type knifes under your belt.  As you will need practice getting your strokes and proper pressure down as the stones take awhile to break in.  The more knives you do, the better the stones get as to leaving scratches behind as you progess through the various grits.  I’m on my 9th knife and I can definitely see a lot less scratches as you move twords a mirror finish.  Get a $9.99 lighted 10x loupe off amazon to help you see beyond what your eye can see as to your scratch patterns.

Don’t get frustrated early as one doesn’t sit down at a piano with no experience and start playing beautiful music.  Practice practice practice.

Pick up some real cheap knives at a local thrift store to practice on and smooth out your new stones at the same time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    P2Labs
    Participant

@Expidia Thank you – yes, it’s hard to take it slow when I’ve seen the results it can do. Local thrift stores sell old clothing for a fortune here but that’s about it – certainly no knives – I’ll just buy some cheapies. When the low angle adapter arrives I’ll be able to get those small angles of kitchen knives.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.