Advanced Search

New Knife Collector (Just Started Last Week)

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Knife Collector (Just Started Last Week)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    -Kiku-
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Hi, everyone.  Budding machirologist here.  Hmm… do I even qualify as a machirologist when I have only two knives collected so far, kitchen cutlery sets not withstanding?

My two knives are:

1.  Spyderco Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189
    2.  Borka Blades SRambit M390

My next knife will probably be either a custom blade from a renowned designer or a production knife made of Maxamet alloy.

As my collection continues to grow, I will want a nice state of the art sharpening system.  So I’ve been searching and that’s how I found out about Wicked Edge Generation 3 Pro.  … But Generation 3 Pro was released way back in 2017, no?  Waiting for Generation 4 variant that addresses the current issues with Gen 3 Pro.

Attachments:
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I have a WE130 and don’t know anything about a possible Gen4. But if you’re collecting knives then I would recommend some CPK knives – Carothers Performance Knives. I was fortunate enough to score a gorgeous CPK UF (Utility/Fighter). I also got in on the pre-order of the new DEK1. CPK has a lot of beautiful high quality fixed blade knives that you can check out on

Blade Forums. And welcome to the WE family!

UF-12a

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by 000Robert.
    Attachments:
    -Kiku-
    Participant

Hi, Robert.  I looked at both WE130 vs Generation 3 Pro.  Between the two, there’s a significant difference in their angle range.  Why is that so?

One would think that the higher-end model would offer a greater range of capability, but it doesn’t seem to be the case with Generation 3 Pro at least with regard to its Angle Range.

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I don’t know much about the Gen 3 Pro. I figured that the only difference is how they are put together. I like the WE130 because each side is adjusted independently from each other and I can grind asymmetrical grinds if I choose to. Plus it sits lower on the bench or table.

I’m sure that someone with a lot more knowledge that I have will reply before much longer. Or there may be another thread discussing the differences. My only interest is in the WE130.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, -Kiku-,

I believe, your assumption and conjecture is flawed.   Yes the Gen 3 Pro is more expensive.  The higher price point is not an indication that it is the better model.  It’s like comparing an automatic transmission model car with the standard transmission model.  The automatic transmission car like the automatic angle adjustment feature of the Gen 3 Pro is more involved mechanically, and more expensive to engineer and manufacture.  Thus it’s more expensive.  The Gen 3 Pro also comes standard, more accessorized with the integral shelf system and with a rolling carry case.  These features also contribute to the price difference.

The WE130 and the Gen 3 Pro both allow you to sharpen a knife with equal precision, and with equal quality sharpened and polished edges, once you learn how to use them well.   The knife sharpening technique is the same for both models.  The same cam action, single lever, “Gen 3” style vise with it’s self centering jaws and tension variable clamping system is used with both models.

The Gen 3 Pro can make gross angle adjustments to both knife sides simultaneously with simply the rotation of the single, central, lever angle adjuster.  Whereas, the WE130 gross angle settings are adjusted manually, individually, one knife side at a time.  The advantage of the Gen 3 Pro are the angles are adjusted simultaneously and thus maybe more simply.  The disadvantage of the Gen 3 Pro are the angle adjustments are made simultaneously.  The more expensive Gen 3 Pro model allows for less user input to the individual angle adjustments, control and variability, from knife side to side.  The Gen 3 Pro may be easier and simpler to use like the automatic transmission car.  The manually controlled WE130 like the manual transmission car allows more user input and independent user control.  To emphasize, the sharpening angle precision allowed is the same with both models.  The less expensive manually adjusted WE130 can be used to sharpen a larger variety of knives of different styles and characteristics.

I have and use all the different model W.E. sharpeners.  If you sharpen a large enough variety of knives, you’ll find they each have their place where they are needed because of their individual characteristics and features.  The decision is what level of user input and user control, along with convenience and ease of use, do you need and/or prefer?  There are thousands of different kinds and styles of knives out there.  For someone who stated he’s just beginning to collect knives you may want to think it over well before you pull the trigger.

You may want to read the top forum post on the “recent” topic page, “Wicked Edge Shoppers and Buyers Guide“.

The “generation” nomenclature has no real significance or correlation to the model’s release dates.  As W.E. has made and continues to make product upgrades to improve upon user efficiency, these part upgrades are often incorporated directly into the models that are coming off the production line without any change in the model’s nomenclature.  These parts improvements, in the past, have been offered in “upgrade kits” to allow current users to retro-fit their older models with these newer innovations.  When W.E. has released new original designs is when I’ve seen the  new names.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    -Kiku-
    Participant

Hi, MarcH.  Thanks for the detailed response.  I understand much better now.  And I’ll be sure to read up on the WE Shoppers and Buyers Guide and find out which of the WEPS package will serve me the best.

If I have any more questions, I’ll ask them here. 🙂

Marc H

I should add…all model W.E. systems are great knife sharpeners.   Even with adapters, accessories and sometimes even modifications to the setup, the W.E. shouldn’t be expected to be able to sharpen every knife.  There are too many different knives in the marketplace.   Many knives are quite unconventional in design.  Some of them just can’t be clamped in the W.E. to facilitate sharpening.  These are few and far between.  After gaining some sharpening experience and if you can exercise some ingenuity you may figure out how to use workarounds.  Nonetheless these knives exist and you may need to use another knife sharpening method for those situations.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

-Kiku-
    Participant

I don’t know how to create a new thread (nor do I remember how I created this thread here in the first place) so I am just going to ask this question right here:

Upon reading through detailed descriptions of Wicked Edge products, I think I am leaning strongly towards WE130 ProPack III.  However, this package (correct me if I am wrong but ProPack III comes with the WE130 core set, correct?) costs a whopping $1250.00!!!  So I’m trying to see if there’s going to be any major discount coming up soon.  I think I read somewhere some time ago about an upcoming Black Friday discount event later this year, but I think it will be only for WE130 core set and not the ProPack III itself.

Any idea as to when the discount on WE130, if any, will be offered later this year?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by -Kiku-.
    Marc H

FYI: Last “Black Friday Sale”, last year, was for the WEGO Deluxe and the WE100 models.  It was a 15%-20% savings.

I don’t remember W.E. having sales every year, just that once, I believe.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.