Advanced Search

New. Just ordered a 2016 F&S

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New. Just ordered a 2016 F&S

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jay Allen
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Just ordered a 2016 Field & Sport with 800/1000 grit diamond stones and advanced alignment guide.  It was too cheap to pass up.

I have a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, a fixed blade hunting knife and some kitchen knives that I need to touch up or sharpen.  I’ve tried a number of other sharpeners, but haven’t gotten a consistent edge with anything.

Will I be able to add the 800/1000 grit stones in the case that is provided with the Field & Sport?

I can’t wait for it to arrive.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Jay Allen, welcome.  I’m sorry to see no one yet has answered your question about the Field and Sport carry case and I can’t help you either, I have no experience with it.  I did a Google search and came up with this older model F & S.  Most of the cases I have seen use similar foam that if you have an open space or area large enough to lay your accessories, the foam can be cut and removed to add a custom hole for your added option.  Hope this helps for know.  Give Wicked Edge a phone call, if you already haven’t, and they’ll certainly answer your question.  Welcome to the Forum.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    graphite
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 101

From the photo MarcH linked to, it might be tough to squeeze in extra stones. But there’s a fair bit of empty space, if you were to re-organize it.

As an alternative you could buy a block of Kaizen foam and reorganize the pieces and cut out to your liking.

Example of Kaizen foam: https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-Kaizen-Foam-57mm-Black/dp/B007J2JJYK/ref=pd_sbs_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q6AHHXWCF1CCH3KR7421

(but do a search to find a block of the right dimensions)

The hard part about cutting a solid block of foam is if you need flat-bottom holes or slots that don’t go all the way through. The foam is generally too soft to use a dremel tool to get a flat-bottom cutout.  Since the Kaizen foam is layered, you just cut the outline to the depth you need–instant flat-bottom cutout.

PS, if anyone has found a tool or bit to carve out clean flat-bottomed slots in regular soft foam (not Kaizen foam) I’d like to hear about it.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jay Allen
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.  I think that I’ll buy a piece of the Kaizen foam and try to make my own inserts instead of trying to modify the original.  I’ll post pictures when I finish.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Jay I suggest you arrange your components as close and compact as possible because I know you’ll be adding accessories to your set-up down the road.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question either, but that Kaizen foam looks very promising to me.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Jay Allen,

Sorry for the delay in answering. I was out sick all last week. The 800/1000 stones will fit in the case with the other stones. You just have to rotate their orientation to get them all to fit.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wellcome to the forum, Jay Allen! If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask..

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.