Advanced Search

NEW HOW TO VID: Get an even bevel on an Umnumzaan

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies NEW HOW TO VID: Get an even bevel on an Umnumzaan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jarve
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 12

Hows it going guys! I just made a Wicked Edge & Umnumzaan specific video to explain how to get an even bevel because you can’t just set the knife in the vise because the spine has curves to it. If you set it in there as we usually do with other knives it will be slanted & your flat portion of the cutting edge will not be even.
    Please check out the vid & subscribe to my channel if you see anything you may be interested in.
    Thanks

The spine on the Umnumzaan blade has curves:
    [/url]
    Star-Tac Umunzaan by Chris Reeve[/url] by ⓂⓄⒹⓘⒻⓘⒺⒹⓏ[/url], on Flickr

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That’s really useful – thank you for posting it and sharing it on the forum.

-Clay

John Holbrook
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Hows it going guys! I just made a Wicked Edge & Umnumzaan specific video to explain how to get an even bevel because you can’t just set the knife in the vise because the spine has curves to it. If you set it in there as we usually do with other knives it will be slanted & your flat portion of the cutting edge will not be even.
    Please check out the vid & subscribe to my channel if you see anything you may be interested in.
    Thanks

The spine on the Umnumzaan blade has curves:
    [/url]
    Star-Tac Umunzaan by Chris Reeve[/url] by ⓂⓄⒹⓘⒻⓘⒺⒹⓏ[/url], on Flickr

Hi – I’ve tried sharpening my Umnum on the Sharpmaker and the curved front/tip area of the blade isn’t getting as sharp as the middle to back portion of the blade.

I haven’t yet watched your video (I will tonight) but I’m wondering is this because I’m setting up the knife incorrectly?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hi – I’ve tried sharpening my Umnum on the Sharpmaker and the curved front/tip area of the blade isn’t getting as sharp as the middle to back portion of the blade.

I haven’t yet watched your video (I will tonight) but I’m wondering is this because I’m setting up the knife incorrectly?

On the Sharpmaker??

If you meant Wicked Edge… definitely watch the video… he addresses how the knife is sharpened from the factory, and how to set it up properly for whatever result you want. Don’t think it can be explained any better than what’s in the video.

cbw

Chris Jarve
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 12

Sharpmaker? My 1st guess is you can’t get the knife sharp at the tip because the edge is very obtuse. You can confirm that by looking through a loupe and see that the stones are only touching the shoulder. If your using the sharp maker you’ll either need to spend a lot of time on the course stones at the tip to even the bevel with the rest of the edge or hold the knife at an angle as if your trying to cut into the rods while you sharpen the tip.

John Holbrook
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Sorry – I’m an idiot. I meant Wicked Edge, not Sharpmaker. :blush:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.