Advanced Search

New guy, I need help…

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New guy, I need help…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dennis
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I am a past  owner of an older WE sharpener. I have just received a new WE Gen 3 Pro. Ive read the instructions and watched videos. I want to sharpen a ZT804CF, and Id like to use 18* per side. I set the selector to 18, adjust the left side with an angle guide, use the micro adjustments to exactly 18*. All is good. I then go to the right side and do the same. I run out of adjustment on the thumbwheel and can only get to 17.35*. I set the adjustment setting to 17.5* and 18.5*. Rinse and repeat, same results. I sharpened 2 knives at 20*m and had no issues. Help me please, customer service isn’t around on weekends!

Mods, if this isn’t the correct forum for this please move it where it belongs!

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Don’t have the Pro but I think it has locking detents location, and a set length of micro adjustment?  Why the left to right side is not exactly the same by a degree is probably just manufacture tolerance.   What I can explain is that as the knife blade apex height changes above 5/8 of an inch over the clamp, the angle of the stone will change.  This mean that your course setting for 18 degrees may not be 18 anymore.  Set your micro adjuster in the center and with the cube get as close to your target with the course setting ignoring the numbers on the scale and defer to the cube.  Hope that helps!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Dennis
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I do use the cube, thats how I knew a setting of 18* did not give me 18*. I finally set the dial at 20* and was able to adjust to 18* on each side.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, Dennis.

With the Gen 3 Pro it’s a balancing act.  A give-and-take between the convenience of simultaneous gross angle adjustment of both knife sides and the positioning of micro-angle adjusters.  First, the inscribed angle indexing is really just a suggestion or general indication of the angle associated with the lever position.  Don’t count on the numbers to set your bevel angles.  The indexing is supposedly calibrated, I believe, to a 5/8″ tall clamped knife.  Most of us are using a digital angle cube to measure and set our bevel angles precisely.

Be sure you’re working with your sharpener on a stable, stationary table top.  That your angle cube is properly zeroed, when positioned on the blue half circle base deck plate centered in front of the Gen 3 vise.  Only zero the cube at the beginning of your sharpening session and use it that way the entire time.

Depending on the knife size and shape, and how it’s positioned and clamped in the Gen 3 Vise on the Gen 3 Pro model, you may be able to achieve your desired bevel angle settings in several different combinations between the positioning of the black end brackets determined by the center lever’s setting and the position of the micro-angle adjuster screws, (i.e., turned in or out).  Don’t count on the printed indexing to coincide with the angle your choosing.  It may or may not. It’s only a general guide.

Turn the micro-angle adjusters screws so they’re roughly centered to the black end brackets. Turn them half way between all-the-way screwed in and all-the-way screwed out.  It doesn’t need to be perfect.  You’re just trying to start with the micro-angle screws in a position that allows you to be able to fine adjust the angles either higher or lower.  Then with the angle cube in place on the sharpening stone, resting on the clamped knife edge and turned on, then position the center angle adjuster lever to be as close to your desired angle setting as possible. Then there should be enough adjustability in the micro-angle screws to set your guide rods precisely.

By starting with the screws centered you should be good-to-go on both sides.  Sometimes this method doesn’t  work out just right for both sides of the knife, like in your situation.  You may need to choose the lever position that is 1/2° higher or lower, and try again.  Like I said at the get-go it’s a balancing act.  It may turn out when you find the best lever position one side micro-angle screw is just about all-the-way turned in and the other side may be turned all-the-way out.  Whatever it takes.

There are modifications available for the Wicked Edge sharpeners including improved micro-angle adjuster kits.  Here is a forum link to some of these aftermarket products available.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.