Advanced Search

New guy from Oklahoma

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New guy from Oklahoma

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Doc Todd
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi everyone,

I’ve been following for a bit and trying to decide whether or not, and what to purchase. Presently considering the Propack3 for a complete one-and-done package. I do have a question though….how much time should I expect to budget to sharpen each knife? My knives aren’t in too bad of shape, but I think it is important to have a general idea of how long it might take to do initial edges and then follow up edges. I’d prefer to do these myself rather than farm it out to a local company with mixed reviews, but I don’t have exorbitant amounts of free time to spend on each knife. Thanks in advance!!!

Todd

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community, Doc Todd.  The answer without out being a smart ass is “as long as it takes.”  Each knife is different.  Depending on the style, shape, size, steel and condition it can be very quick, like take 20-30 minutes or require a long time, like hours and hours.  This is only after you learn how to use the Wicked edge and have developed and can apply a good sharpening technique.   There is a learning curve associated with all the different WE models.  The WE130 model in the Pro Pack 3 is probably the simplest and easiest model to use.  But it still takes time to figure it out, before you’ll see consistently good results.

Most of us do this for a hobby and find it relaxing.  We don’t have time constraints.  If you are “that busy“, you may not be able to give sharpening with the Wicked Edge the time it requires for you to get the hang of it.  That being said if your like most of us that were drawn to this fixed angle sharpening tool, once you get it and see what it’s all about it will absorb you.  Then you’ll want to spend more time and effort chasing the illusive perfectly sharpened scratch-free polished  knife edge!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Doc Todd
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the reply, Marc. I have a mix of kitchen and pocket knives that I am hoping to work on. In the kitchen dept I have a chef knife, santoku, and a ceramic chef knife so I could easily rotate either the steel chef or santoku out while working with the other. I’ll also probably try and pick up a cheapo knife at Target/Walmart to practice with as well.

I got a double sided whetstone a couple years ago but just never got the hang of it and have been looking for something more user friendly and repeatable…hence the WE system. I got some decent results with the whetstone (could cut paper and what not) but just not overly pleased in the end.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Well, that depends on the knife and how polished or refined you want to make the edges. If you’re going for a sharp working edge for an EDC, then you might only need to go to 600 or 800 grit and do one set of strops. The initial sharpening will probably take 20-30 minutes like Marc said, but once you document the clamping position and have already re-profiled the edge to the angle that you want (all done on the initial sharpening), then it should only take a few minutes to clamp a knife hit it with the stones, and strop it. I would guess this could easily be done in 5 minutes if time were an issue.

Here’s an example of a blade being sharpened for the first time from start to finish by an experienced sharpener. It is sped up in some portions of the video, but I would guess it only took maybe 15 minutes or so.

If you are trying to get the ultimate edge you can, then you can easily spend a few hours on a single knife. I have spent as much as three hours on one blade, but I know others have done more.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Diamond are the most efficient for sharpening a knife when it comes to time spent for me. But I do avoid metal that chips easy. I did lose some time a couple of years ago on some 50/80 grit diamond stones that I cleaned with water dish soap and a tooth brush. the stones actually got to where they stopped taking off metal. Now I give my diamond stones a quick spray of rubbing alcohol and it helps. Those 50/80 diamonds work great now.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jon J
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 6

Hello Doc Todd. Good to see another okie on here, I’m in Edmond. Like the ones before me have all said, there is a learning curve and it can take as much time as you want it to. I do my sharpening in the morning, before the kids wake up and before I have to head off to work and I only have 1 hour each morning to do it then, otherwise i’d have to at night and there’s always some honey do’s then. But I put a blade in, and if it’s a brand new one that I have yet to sharpen, it usually takes me a day or 2 to finish it out. If it’s one that has already been in the clamp, then I can look up my settings and have it touched up within 10 minutes.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mutt
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

I’m a new guy from Oklahoma too, btw.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jason (Ronin)
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

Another new guy from Oklahoma here to, Guthrie OK.

I have found that, for me, it really depends on the knife, what it will be used for, and what type of edge I want. Monday, I spent 3 hours on a santoku, re-profiling it and then getting it to almost mirror. I spent an hour yesterday sharpening a santoku for my son. For a folder that I want a really nice mirror on it can take a few sessions over a few days for around 6-8 hours at the most. For a simple touch up where I am matching the bevel, 20 -30 minutes is reasonable for me.

Jason (Ronin)
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

Another new guy from Oklahoma here too, Guthrie OK.

I have found that, for me, it really depends on the knife, what it will be used for, and what type of edge I want. Monday, I spent 3 hours on a santoku, re-profiling it and then getting it to almost mirror. I spent an hour yesterday sharpening a santoku for my son. For a folder that I want a really nice mirror on it can take a few sessions over a few days for around 6-8 hours at the most. For a simple touch up where I am matching the bevel, 20 -30 minutes is reasonable for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.