Advanced Search

New Guy

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Guy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sht4brnz
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 2

Recently purchased the pro pack 2. Immediately upgraded to a granite base and added the super fine 1500 grit stones and some diamond sheets. Within two weeks  I placed an order for a hard case and more stones. My girlfriend says I’m like a kid with anew toy. I have been using it more than I initially anticipated. Thoroughly enjoying it and my abilities are showing progress

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome Sht4brnz, obviously the name doesn’t hold.  You were bright enough to buy the Wicked Edge.  Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum.  Please take time between your knife sharpening experiences to read previous Forum Threads.  There’s a lot of information to learn and experience to gain from those before you.  If you don’t see the answer we’re here to help.

Next you’ll be ordering the “WE 130 Vice Upgrade.”  Then you’ll have “the Cadillac” model WEPS!

Welcome!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 37

Welcome to the W.E. forum and congrats on buying W.E. pro pack II. As Marc said take time to read the forum lots of topics and even mods.

David

W.E. pro pack III

4 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Welcome s.4.b., we are kids with a new toy! Oh what a toy it is and the WE serves a needed purpose that was until 10 or so years ago out of reach to all but a few. Any questions, problems or advise please don’t be afraid to share. It’s a big part of how we all learn!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Sht4brnz
    Participant

Next you’ll be ordering the “WE 130 Vice Upgrade.” Then you’ll have “the Cadillac” model WEPS! Welcome!

Interesting you say that, It’s already on my mind.

Anyone interested in a very lightly used pro pack 2?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

The upgrade to make a 120 into a 130 is cheaper than selling your system and buying a new one I think.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

When I bought the upgrade, I decided to keep the old vise and buy an extra base.  I made a new base (the blue thingy), bought a length of 5/16″ stainless square stock, swapped parts with another forum member for a paper-stone base and now I had two rigs.  I can switch between them at will just by moving the rod assemblies to the other rig.  I’m pretty sure WE would sell you the parts.  Until I got the Gen 3 Pro, I used both set-ups quite a bit.  Not so much anymore, but one feature I have on the older rigs that isn’t available with the Gen 3 Pro is the RAM mount and clamp assembly to support the handles of long, flexible knives.  Each of the two has a ball for the RAM stuff, so I can also switch between rigs with the RAM arm and clamp.

Marc H

Just upgrade your Pro Pack 2 with the Gen 3 Vice.  Like SKSharp said, with the new style vice it will be a WE130.   You can sharpen a larger variety of knives, knives styles and blade edge configurations with the independent right and left rod arm angle adjustments with the WE 130. Add the “riser block” and longer rod arms and you have the best setup WE offers, IMO.

With the riser block installed you can sharpen very low bevel angles, and even lower still if you also use the low angle adapter, (LAA).  If you need to apply a very wide bevel angle, remove the riser block and you’ll get more obtuse angles.

It’s all in your understanding and ability to manipulate the set-up to meet your individual needs.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

sksharp
    Participant

I recently received a WE GO and after spending some time with it I have to agree with TC. Hang on to that 120 vice! Every sharpening system has strengths and weaknesses. What I’ve found with the GO is the old clamp doesn’t interfere as much on more acute angles. The GO is the height of a WE 100 with the same clamp and because of the difference in height, compared to my WE130 works very well with knives that have a big, quick drop from the straight section to the point. The lower height is more forgiving finding the sweet spot on these knives due to the smaller arc produced by the lower height. Most chef knives have more of a swept blade and benefit from not only the higher height of the 130 but I use the LAA adjuster on top of that for most of them. What I’m trying to achieve is matching the sweep of the blade to the arc of the stone, this keeps the angle more consistent.

I would suggest you hang on to it and try it with and without the riser block if you do upgrade to the 130. I think down the road you will be happy you kept it!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Not intending to disagree with sksharp, I believe the newer 130 single lever self centering floating cam vice makes it so much easier to clamp and sharpen knives, as compared with the older style 120 vice.  Also there will be no-longer the need to measure and adjust for clamping cant or blade lean inherent to the old style 120 vice design. The differences in the angle limits with the vice height, sksharp mentions, is overcome with the use and/or removal of the riser block.  You will need the longer angle guide rods to take full advantage of all these height adaptations.

(edit: I did keep my older Pro  PacK 2, 120 vice but haven’t found the need to reinstall and use it.)

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

sksharp
    Participant

No disagreement Marc, the 130 is absolutely easier to use on most knives. It’s just I’ve found that the lower height of the clamp resulting in a tighter arc makes it better for small knives and knives that have a pronounced belly near the tip, such as what most refer to as butchers knife for example.

If I could only have one sharpener though, and had to chose from all the WE sharpeners, it would absolutely be the WE130!

Paul
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

S4B, still interested in selling your PP2? If so, how much? Email me or pm me. Not very computer literate but will try to figure out how to pm. Thanks.

Sht4brnz
    Participant

Paul, I sent you a private message

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.