Advanced Search

New From Pennsylvania

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New From Pennsylvania

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Labus
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hey group! Been researching sharpening systems, and pulled the trigger on a Gen 3. Haven’t used it yet, but when I get a day off, I’ll give it a go on some older, cheaper knives to break in the stones. Any advise on topics on the forum for beginners?

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

Welcome!  What county you in?  Delaware here, just outside Philadelphia.

I am rather new to knife sharpening as well.  Read any and all post by MarcH, Organic, tcmeyer  and wickededge,

Your stones will take a good while to break in and results will be lack luster until they do and until you figure out the technique that works best for you.

Good luck and don’t be shy!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Make sure you check out the knowledge base (link in the top right of the forum). These are articles compiled by the WE team and many of them are aimed at new users.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned (about sharpening with the WE?)

Michael Labus
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I live in Hatfield Township, Montgomery County. Yea I heard the Diamond Stones have a break in period, so I won’t subject my favorite knives to sharpening yet. Thanks for the tips on where to go for info. The one issue I hope won’t be a problem is that some of my favorite folders have very little flat area for clamping. Guess I won’t know for sure until I try it.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and sharpening community Michael Labus.

This is one of the best video’s I’ve seen to breakdown the different Wicked Edge sharpening stokes and explains the techniques in detail, well.  Ignore the title it really doesn’t reflect the subject matter.  In the second video of the two part series he goes on to use Chosera Whetstones on Wicked Edge paddles.  The stone care is a little different but the sharpening technique he uses and explains makes it worth viewing, also.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

A solution that sometimes works for folders with little to no flat spot is to remove the blade from the handle and then clamp on the pivot area of the blade. Alternatively, you can try the Tormek small knife jig, but that is a compromise and will introduce its own issues.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.