Advanced Search

New from Florida

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New from Florida

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KIP
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Well, Name is Kip, been using DMT bench stones for years, and finally decided to upgrade.  Got the WE-100 via Amazon this morning, also added the 800/1000 stones.  Mounted it to my own wood base with rubber non slip feet.   Have to say, it is impressive.  Did a couple of the wives older Chefs knives first to break in the stones.  Then switched to some of her better knives after I got the hang of it. Also did a couple of my Kershaw folders.  Love it this far.  Got strops on the way already.  Will I be ok stropping after the 1000, or should I get the ceramic set for final step before stropping?  Happy with the product, and this forum looks like a good tool for information also.  Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The choice of witch grit to end your progression of stones is a personal one. I try to tailor the edge to the cutting task that the blade is intended for. A coarser finish will be better for some cutting tasks than a highly polished edge will be.

The ceramic stones are great. I like the 1.4 / 0.6 micron ones. They are not necessary, but I think you’ll like the polish that they impart.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Please be aware it usually requires about 10 knives worth of sharpening before your stones will be approaching “break-in”.  It’s generally recommended to hold off on your good stuff till they are broken-in.  The ceramics are one good progression choice, as are other routes like 1500 grit diamond stones, or lapping films.  You certainly can use strop following the 1000 grit.  I use strops following any and every sharpening progression, as my final finishing steps.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.