Advanced Search

New Angle Cubes

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic New Angle Cubes

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I ordered the DXL-360 (not the 360S) from Amazon at $53.99 with free shipping. Ordered on 3/29, received today on 4/1.

Can you give us an idea how they compared doing incremental angle increases.  Im guessing the new one is much more responsive but would be great to hear your thoughts.

Congratulations on the new tool!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Can you give us an idea how they compared doing incremental angle increases. I’m guessing the new one is much more responsive but would be great to hear your thoughts. Congratulations on the new tool!

I’ll have to give it a try later this weekend.  Meanwhile, I’ve got a chore to tend to; we had a copper pipe spring a leak where it goes thru a joist in the ceiling.  We had the upstairs bathroom remodeled back in 2002 and the carpenter built the shower wall directly over a parallel joist.  The plumber drilled down for the water lines and hit the joist dead center.  Rather than drilling a new hole, he buried the copper line complete with elbow right in the joist.  Wouldn’t you know it?  That’s right where it got a pin-hole leak.

Geez, it’s April and snowing here.  Almost no wind and the viz is about 1/8 mile.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Well, I tried comparing the DXL-360 with my old Imaging AngleCube.  I placed both cubes on one diamond stone while it was laying against the vise at approximately 20 degrees.  I then made a series of microadjustments as I observed the two readouts.  The adjustments were one-quarter turns, which is about 0.1 degrees.  The Imaging unit generally took two adjustments before it would respond.  The DXL, however, would respond almost immediately and in 0.02 to 0.04 degree increments.  In the course of making a single 1/4-turn adjustment, the DXL would make at least two and sometime three incremental reading updates.   After about ten incremental adjustments, the DXL only stepped up more than 0.02 degrees two or three times.

Not very scientific, but then the comparison was hardly worthwhile.  No doubt to me as far as which was preferable.

The DXL is significantly bigger than the older cube and the sides are not on a single plane like the AngleCube. The size is a big plus when it is attached to to a stone.  It’s a big negative when you are trying to get a reading on the exposed face of a small knife.  Maybe one could find a thin, flat piece of steel to span the side of the DXL and act as a mounting face.  If not for this, I’d give my AngleCube away in a flash.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.