Advanced Search

New Angle Cubes

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic New Angle Cubes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

A recent search uncovered several newer looking, more accurate angle cubes out the on the market!!! 

Previously I had compared phone apps to the AccuRemote digital angle gauge:
    Resolution: .05°
    Accuracy: +/- .2°
    Repeatability: .1°
    My own conclusion was apps were just as accurate(if not more) but not as convenient to use:
    https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/angle-cube-vs-iphone-6-vs-galaxy-s6-edge/#post-26288

Now more accurate cubes appear to be available with new MEMS sensors and backlit displays!  I found the following on Amazon…

First is the AccuMaster($34 on Amazon):
    Resolution: +/- .05° at rest
    Accuracy: +/- .02°
    Repeatability:  Not listed
    817NzOjZYhL._SY355_

Then there are 2 different models from Floureon, here is the Dxl360s($66 on Amazon):
    Resolution: +/- .01° at rest
    Accuracy: +/- .05°(at 0-20°)
    Repeatability:  Not listed but response time is listed at .4secs!61ATtV1UxuL._SY355_

If either of these comes close to doing what it says on the tin we are could be talking a nice leap in the technology.  Better resolution, accuracy, and a easy to read backlit…

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Accumaster looks nice, but according to folks on Amazon Q&A and reviews, it only has one magnet, located on the bottom.  For use on the WEPS, the side magnets are very convenient.

Good to be in the know for new and improved tools, but for now I’ll keep my Accuremote angle gauge.

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant

Alan, Im in agreement 100% and I just wanted to bring it to the attention of fellow forum memebers that there were new product out there.  For all I know there could be others but I got excited and wanted to share before doing an exhaustive search. 😛

I also like the simpler design and lower price tag of the AccuMaster.  Heck for 10 times the accuracy AND an easy to read backlit display, Id be tempted to break out the hot glue gun and a magnetic strip to glue it on the side…but thats just me. 

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

It looks good and nice that it has an even higher resolution. But in practice I’m happy if I can keep angle changes within 0.5% 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant

Update:  I ended up springing for the $30 AccuMaster.  Only downside I can think of I didnt address is the lack of magnet on the side…Ill probably glue a magnetic strip on the side but its easily viewable at the slant.
    Also I noticed a small detail I didn’t mention that the mounting edge is recessed in the middle maybe .3mm which allows for it to seat flush on the paddle much easier.  The old AccuRemote is totally flat so any metal dust sticks there and causes a tiny wobble(in mine).
    Edit:  Pay close attention at the end of the video as the AccuRemote stays at 0.00 while the AccuMaster is adjusting incrementally up & down.  Thought that was noteworthy…

All in all Im calling this a Win for the display alone and the response time is about twice as fast which is very nice.  Makes me wonder what the $60 cube would do??? 

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

“A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”

Sorry, just couldn’t resist.    (Really has nothing to do with your video, just came to mind.)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Cliff’s comment about the new cube having higher sensitivity seems correct.  Higher sensitivity should mean faster response.

I was interested in one thing that’s shown in the first attachment in his the first post.  If you open it, the photo shows the readout displaying 0.61 degrees.  I checked the specs at amazon and the explanation is that between 0 and 1 degree, the res is 0.01 degrees.  I think you could use that to your advantage by zeroing at your chosen angle (e. g. 20 dps), then making adjustments and reading +/- 1 deg.

Then I watched a couple of videos (one was in Chinese, or maybe Thai) and decided to buy the DXL360 (not the DXL360s) for $54.  It has the 0.02 degree resolution and looks like the response is pretty fast.  Thanks Cliff!

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Id be tempted to break out the hot glue gun and a magnetic strip to glue it on the side…

I doubt that magnetic strip can hold and cube will not slip down, especially on vertical knife surface. You need pretty strong magnets.

CliffCurry
    Participant

Im not sure about the weight of the one TC is looking to get, but the AccuMaster is at least 1/3 the weight of the older AccuRemote.  In other words its very light comparatively. 🙂

tcmeyer
    Participant

Id be tempted to break out the hot glue gun and a magnetic strip to glue it on the side…

Nothing important here, but how did I get quoted about this when I never actually said it??   Cliff and I generally see things in the same context, but this is confusing.

dulledge
    Participant

Nothing important here, but how did I get quoted about this when I never actually said it?? Cliff and I generally see things in the same context, but this is confusing.

My fault. I was messing with quotes and struggling with my cell phone. I need to pay more attention. The quote actually was from CliffCurry, not from tcmeyer. My apology.  Correct quote is below.

Alan, Im in agreement 100% and I just wanted to bring it to the attention of fellow forum memebers that there were new product out there. For all I know there could be others but I got excited and wanted to share before doing an exhaustive search. ? I also like the simpler design and lower price tag of the AccuMaster. Heck for 10 times the accuracy AND an easy to read backlit display, Id be tempted to break out the hot glue gun and a magnetic strip to glue it on the side…but thats just me.

dulledge
    Participant

Im not sure about the weight of the one TC is looking to get, but the AccuMaster is at least 1/3 the weight of the older AccuRemote. In other words its very light comparatively.

It is good to know. Thanks!

My new AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level / Protractor / Bevel Gauge – LED Lighted Display  with 9V battery is 209 grams (7.4 oz) . Battery alone weight is 45 grams (1.6 oz).

I chose AccuRemote because all sides are flat and magnetic. But because of heavy weight it often slips from vertical surface of knife.

darkzero
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

I watched a couple of videos (one was in Chinese, or maybe Thai) and decided to buy the DXL360 (not the DXL360s) for $54. It has the 0.02 degree resolution and looks like the response is pretty fast. Thanks Cliff!

I’d really like to hear what you think about it after you get it & try it out. I was going to get the new red S model as posted above until I read some reviews on it. Price has gone up since the last version so I didn’t want to buy one & find out for myself.

I used to use the older DXL360S for years. I stopped using it cause if it wasn’t used for a while the next time I went to power it on the batteries would be dead. Though it’s supposed to have li-ion batteries which should not discharge in such a short period of time. I believe it’s one of those devices that don’t actually turn off when you power it off, just turns off the display like the cheap HF digital calipers.

It was very light & although it felt kind of cheap I liked it a lot aside from the battery drain issue. I’m curious if they fixed that with these new 360 models if you could test for that.

I’ve since been using an AccuRemote. It’s heavy as hell which I hate & the response time is slower than my old 360S but at least it powers on when I need it to.

(Wow, talk about an old pic!)

tcmeyer
    Participant

I got my DXL-360 today and so far am very impressed.  I went thru the calibration routine a couple of times.  It went better when I figured out that I needed three reference axes.  I used the front, side and top of my granite plate.  At first I was perplexed by the fact that the display bounced around a little on pressing the Zero button.  Not the dead flat 0.00 I get on the Imaging AngleCube.

Then I attached the two cubes to one of my diamond stones, leaned up against the vise.  The DXL-360 locked in on the angle almost instantly (response is listed in the specs at <0.4 sec) and held it with very little drift.  I was surprised to see my AngleCube off by about 0.3 degrees.  I moved them to my granite plate to compare them when rotated 90 degrees.  The DXL displayed 89.96 +/- 0.02 and the AngleCube displayed 89.6 +/-0.1  This confirms the 0.3 degree error.  It has been dropped at least once in its lifetime.

I keep my workstation rather dark, to reduce glare with my USB microscope, so the LCD display of the AngleCube has been difficult to read.  The DXL automatically rotates the display and the backlighting makes legibility much, much better.  With the added speed, I doubt I’ll use the AngleCube much anymore.

The DXL comes with a USB cable to charge the Lithium battery; maybe an inconvenience for those without a USB port on their workstation.  FWIW, you can buy regular 120V outlets with a built-in USB charger port, if that helps you.

This is not an April Fools joke.   It really works and I really like it.  Happy, happy.

tcmeyer
    Participant

I ordered the DXL-360 (not the 360S) from Amazon at $53.99 with free shipping.  Ordered on 3/29, received today on 4/1.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.