Advanced Search

New angle cube

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

My angle cube has broken down. So I’m looking for a new one. Obviously for use with the WEPS, so it would be nice if it is magnetic, so I can attach it to the stones.

And it’d be a huge plus if I can buy it in Europe, thought getting it from the States is an option. (However, this costs me additional shipping costs and, really true, taxes – like import tax, Value Added Tax, etc. – that are 33% of the value of what I buy.)

Any good tips?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Right now I’m using the Floureon DXL-360 and I used for a long time the Wixey WR300 (type 2).  The DXL-360 is more accurate, (+/-) 0.02º and has powerful magnets on it’s sides to hold it in place to the diamond paddles.  It is a little slower to settle and lock-in but very accurate.  The Wixey is a lot faster to lock-in it’s reading, not quite as accurate (+/-)0.1º but gives good fast consistent repeatable readings.  The Wixey is much lighter and has to be held in place with only light magnets on it’s bottom.   The DXL-360 is USB rechargeable and holds it’s charge for a very long time.  The Wixey uses one AA Battery and this last a very long while also.  Both these units I found superior to the “Igaging” or “AccuRemote” Digital Meters that I used for quite some time also.  These gave me readings that seemed to keep floating and changing and were slow to settle in and lock on.

I have no way of knowing what is sold or available in Europe.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, Mark, that Wixye WE300 looks good. And they ship to Europe.

Does anyone happen to know which batteries the Accuremote angle cube sold by WE runs on?

MarcH

Accuremote uses 1-9 volt battery

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Any (dis)advantages of the Accuremote compared to the other angle cubes? It seems pretty accurate and with non-cell batteries it does seem to fit my requirements. Perhaps it could be a bit heavy with these batteries?

MarcH

Both these units, DXL-360 and WE300, I found superior to the “Igaging” or “AccuRemote” Digital Meters, that I used for quite some time also. These gave me readings that seemed to keep floating and changing and were slow to settle in and lock on. 

Mark, I was dissatisfied with both the Igaging and Accuremote.  I found then both to flicker from number to number never settling on a reading or “lock-in”.  When I removed them from the stone, and replaced them on the stone, to take a second reading, in order to verify accuracy, they seldom gave me two consecutive readings of the same value.  I found I just accepted that my angle was close enough when the readings were fairly close.  That is why I bought other devices looking for a better more stable consistent gauge.  I found stability and consistency in the Wixey 300 (type 2) and the Floureon DXL-360.  This is my opinion and experience.  Others may have had a different experience.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Just ordered a Wixye WE300 🙂 . Thanks, Marc!

MarcH

My experience is with the Wixey WR 300 (type 2)…there is also a Wixey WR300.  The type 2 is less expensive and uses the AA battery.  The WR300 is more expensive and uses a button battery Cr2032, I believe.  Just to let you know.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Oops… Fortunately I ordered the one you linked to, which is the type 2 🙂 . I just forgot to mention it. It uses an AAA battery, according to Amazon, by the way. Thanks, Marc!

SalisburySam
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15

My experience with the AccuRemote is similar to that of others: it doesn’t really settle in to a single, repeatable reading.   Worse, I find it hard to read, even with the backlighted version of the device.  Just odd, IMO.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

I forgot to add the Wixye WE300 (type 2) works fine. The magnets are strong enough (but not too strong) and with a little practice I do get a good repeatable reading. I also like the fact that it uses and AAA-battery. Recommended!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.