Advanced Search

Need Suggestions For a New EDC

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Need Suggestions For a New EDC

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Heavens to Betsy mate!! What a fine collection! So you love Spyderco stuff do you! LOL!
    Hey Ken, in case I don’t get a chance later, Merry Christmas my friend. Have happy and healthy holiday!

Hey Leo,

Thanks. And that’s just the ones I could easily lay my hands on. There are more… In the garage, in the car, in the nightstand…… I also have a bunch of their sharpening gear, which is all very good.

Yea, I do. Nice innovatative products. Great choice of steels and overall I just really like their philosophy and business model.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, brother. May it bring you many blessings!

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Wow keep them coming. And if it matters, I like harder steels…I have a great VG-10 folder, but it’s just too big…

If you are thinking of a hard steel, and Spyderso might interest you, check out the Caly 3 in a ZDP 189 laminate with polished carbo fiber scales. The knife is made in Japan and I have not seen specifics on the hardness. Hitachi recommends Rc 65 to 68. I have read that Spyderco does their in house heat treat to Rc 64. In any case the Caly 3 is quite hard as evidenced by the time it took me to sharpen it the first time around.

I carry mine and use it for everything that I would any of the other knives I have in my daily cary rotation. The guy doing the review is… well interesting. I put the link in because he has some nice video of the knife…

It has a 3″ blade and is pretty thin and light. It handles well though due to the handle design and the gimping. It definitely cuts bigger than its blade size. Only thing I find is a negative is the back lock. It works well and locks up solid, but it is a pain in the butt…for me anyway. to close. A two hand job.

BTW I have one of the Kershaw 1555Ti Cryo knives. As Curtis said it is a nice little knife, and cheap. You can get it for under $30. It was voted the best vlaue knife at the 2012 Blade Show. Definitely something you could get to play with and not break the bank.

I love your knives Leo, but I couldn’t see carying one of them every day… I would be scared to scratch it or lose it. They would probably be in my safe to be pampered and polished… and shown to friends to produce envy
    🙂

Phil

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I know what you mean Phil. I was the same for awhile but finally as I used them more and more, they both proved to be tough hombres, even the pretty French knife…both also sharp as the dickens. My Le Trappeur is used around the kitchen daily.
    and my wife who is afraid of most of my knives, loves this French beauty.

Cheers
    Leo

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Wow…even more. This is good stuff.
    My Spydeco luck must have been bad…or I chose their worst and caught them on a bad day.
    The little Kershaw does look fun. And I will dig more into the spydeco site.
    And Ken….that’s a mighty fine pile of knives. 🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

And Ken….that’s a mighty fine pile of knives. 🙂

Thanks brother. Now I just need more pockets 😉

Ken

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Honestly, If you love the Leek more than anything else buy 2 of them. Keep one as a spare.

If you want to try something different I love the Benchmade 940’s. I love the Axis Lock system. It is butter and just works great. The Leek blade shape is pretty unique. The 940 shape is love it or hate it. My first thoughts of the 940 was hate it, but it is a quite functional shape. The 940 also has a slim profile and doesn’t raise too many eyes in the office. You can get a decent variety of steels, CPM M4, S30V, 154CM. Some old models have D2. If you like D2 you will love M4 as long as corrosion resistance is not an issue. If you want a more of a clip point/drop point the 943 is the same knife, different blade shape.

Benchmades cost more, but I think they are worth it.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

The The Model 940-121 lists for $500.00 ,
    Somehow I though that he was looking for a Leek like $60 to $80 ish sort of price.
    I sure can’t get to where I would want a $500 EDC to bet up the way I do knives…

I did get out and checked on the knife though. I love the BM Axis lock and I really like M4 steel.

I see the S30v version is available for about $150. Now you are dealing with Aluminum scales, not my favorite handle material…

I have The Model 940-121 Benchmade Mini Presidio Ultra Knife that I like pretty well. It has the axis lock, is nice and light and handles well. From the OP he did not want anything too big. the Mini is under 3″.
    Nothing fancy in the steel department, though 440C is not bad at all. I am including a pic a a neat looking version. Mine has the black blade…with no graphics and balck scales.

I have proably 20 Benchmade knives, some are over 20 years old and well used. One could do much worse .. if you find one that fits your budget…

Just my thoughts..
    Phil

SethC
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

Not sure what you think about 154CM but I think it does very well. I really love my Benchmade Torrent for EDC. It has a 58-61HRC. Blade length is about 3 3/4″ though so it might be a little big for your liking but it has a low pocket clip so it sits low in the pocket!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

The The Model 940-121 lists for $500.00 ,

Yeah, Benchmade gold class aren’t cheap. That’s for sure. They’ve done more cost effect CPM-M4s though.

Ken

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

GREAT Topic !

Have enjoyed taking a look at all the suggested knifes, several I had never seen before.
    I keep a Spyderco Native around just to see how I can abuse it, thus far it has been a fun and tough EDC to have around.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

A little FYI, I happened to catch this a.m. If you purchase a Kershaw knife shipped/sold thru Amazon worth $50 or more, they take $15 off. Says it’s good thru 12/22.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

A little FYI, I happened to catch this a.m. If you purchase a Kershaw knife shipped/sold thru Amazon worth $50 or more, they take $15 off. Says it’s good thru 12/22.

Great info Curtis!!
    I just picked up a couple of these for Xmas gifts:
    http://www.bladeauthority.com/Kershaw_Rake_s/250.htm

and one for me… Amazon price and $15 off makes them a very nice deal.

Phil

Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 31

I have been using a buck vantage pro as my edc for the last few months and I have really enjoined this knife. It has the S30V steel and a very deep carry pocket clip that fits my activities very well. I also rotate a couple of benchmade a in and out of the line up. I love the axis lock but I hate that they always make there knives a little on the heavy side. As for the spyderco I have a love hate relationship with them. I love the quality of there knives and have owned and carried a few but I HATE there pocket clips and to be honest most of there blade shapes. If I had a the money to drop on a knife right now though it would be a ZT561. It is a little heavy but I sure do like the look of that knife and have read a lot of good reviews also.

Mark Bellou
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I 2nd the Benchmade 940. Superb size, deployment, shape, quality, and performance. Made in USA. I also like the ZT 0560.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Fred…

What’d you end up getting? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.