Advanced Search

Need Suggestions For a New EDC

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Need Suggestions For a New EDC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Hi All,
    I didn’t think this fit in the knife section, so here goes…

I’m tempted to get a new EDC. Currently I have a Kershaw Leek with the bi-metal blade and an edge of CPM-D2. Supposedly it’s tempered to about RC 61-62.

I’ve spent so much time reprofiling and experimenting on it that i’ve worn it down significantly. SO….

What I like is the very low profile, it’s relatively small, so I don’t get the ‘snake-eye’ at work, and I like the basic blade shape. I also was really on the fence about the ‘assisted open’ but now love it.

So budget is anywhere from dirt cheap to 300ish dollars. If I could be convinced it was worth more…I will just save longer.

So any suggestions?

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

What’s more important to you …. overall size, blade shape, blade steel, or opening system? I don’t think you are going to find anything close to the Leek in terms of size and blade shape that also has an assisted opening system. Asking for suggestions is without first deciding on what’s most important is probably going to give you a gazillion different opinions! For me, if I wanted to keep the size and shape close to the Leek …. I’d consider the Kershaw SpeedformII (which can be had for between 60 – 80), another Leek (House of Blades in TX has an exclusive Red Leek I just ordered that is nice looking), or a Spyderco Des Horn (a tad over $100, and more delicate tip). However, if I wanted a small EDC that wouldn’t draw much attention, but had great blade steel and was built like a tank to perform both small and large tasks … the Spyderco Techno would be at the top of the list (in the $175 range). When I go out, I normally have at least three knives on me. A Spyderco Ladybug on my keychain, a Spyderco Dragonfly or Squeak in my watch pocket, and something bigger in my right pocket …. that one varies with my mood. Always have the smaller ones …. for when I don’t want draw attention.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It’s hard to beat a Leek!!! :cheer:

If you want something a bit different though, take a look at the Kershaw 1555Ti. The thing has the look and feel of a custom knife… for under $30! The 8Cr13MoV steel takes and holds a decent edge, has a low profile clip, 4 way clip placement, and other custom features. Oh yeah, assisted opening.

Here’s a quick picture I took comparing it to the Leek…

You can check out some other pics online.

In fact, if you find a good place to buy from, look at some of the other “low end” Kershaw knives… you can get a variety of shapes and sizes to play with. Adds a little spice to the collection without breaking the bank! :blink:

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Good Grief, I had no idea there were 9 versions of the Leek. That’s just funny.

I’ll take a look at the ones you guys have posted they look like good leads.

So I think my priorities for a knife would be *in order*

Type of steel

Size/shape

Blade Shape

Opening mechanism

Any other good ideas out there?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Since you rank steel #1, and since you carry a D2, I would suggest something in CPM M4. It’s hands down my favorite steel these day for both toughness and edge holding, but mostly for the quality of edge I get. It just feels sharper.

There are a few options (aside from customs) Spyderco has the Gayle Bradley, a lairly large folder with Carbon Fibre scales. It’s a tank and will take anything you throw at it. On the other end of the spectrum is the Bradley Air. A featherweight warncliff with a demon thin blade (I added a clip to mine as I don’t like loose picket carry)

There are (or were?) Ritter Grips and mini Grips in M4 and Benchmade has a couple other models.

Lastly, Bark River has a beautiful line of small fixed blades that will work in a pocket sheath in their Essential EDC series. Check out the dessert ironwood with mosaic pins. Just gorgeous.

Good luck,

Ken

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I have 2 EDC folders that I love, so I switch back and forth. Here is the Fallkniven PXL with a blade of 3G powder steel and 60 on the Rockwell scale of hardness. It has a 3.7 inch blade that holds an edge like no other. It is probably the best steel I have come across as yet. This knife works with oily smoothness and opens and closes with one hand so easily. It is not spring loaded.The handle is Ivory Micarta. All in all a stunning knife.

My other EDC is my equal love…it is a Chambriard Le Trappeur folder from France. It has a 3.5 inch blade of the wonderful Sandvik 13C27 steel from Sweden. This steel takes a super sharp edge, retains it well and is easy to restore. This is a Gentleman’s knife. It is pretty, non-threatening to people who are normally afraid of knives and it has a strong locking system. It is a beauty with a wood handle of Juniper and the backstrap is filigreed by hand.It comes with a buttery soft leather scabbard made for horizontal carry should you wish it.

The first knife is somewhat over 300 dollars and the French knife is about 250 US dollars.

I would never be without one of these fine knives when I go out or anytime for that matter.I think you would love them too. For your consideration.

Best regards
    Leo

cbwx34
    Participant

Good Grief, I had no idea there were 9 versions of the Leek. That’s just funny.

Nine?!!?….. I used to belong to a forum that listed them… I think at last check there was 41!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Some nice knives Leo and Ken!

Marion
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 41

For an unassuming and inexpensive knife, in Sandvik 12c27m you can’t beat a Opinel. Well you can but why try at the price. They aren’t fancy, and nobody will want to steal them or probably confiscate one cause they are so unassuming. If you want to mod them you can…

You’d think the thin blades would fold up or break but I have cut steaks and raw carrots, wittled a little wood with the #8. Even cut cut down some old growth green briar(devils ivey) here with it. It will still take the hair off my arm after abuse. It does need a few passes on the WE now though.

I may have to get a few Opi’s for Christmas presents for the boys…

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Oh Leo…those are nice.
    I’ve gotten very used to a pocket clip as I don’t like a free floating knife in my pocket, heck, I don’t like anything lumpy in my pocket..
    The idea of a unassuming sheath is worth a look, but the Fallkniven…*drools*

I had one of the first Gerber Paul knives (stolen) and loved it, but they never offered any version with a pocket clip once they brought them back.

More ideas!

Wow keep them coming. And if it matters, I like harder steels…I have a great VG-10 folder, but it’s just too big…

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

The PXL from Fallkniven has a great pocket clip. It is attached in such a way that very little of the knife protrudes from one’s pocket. The price is about 270+/- US dollars.
    Good luck in your search Fred!
    Regards
    Leo

cbwx34
    Participant

And if it matters, I like harder steels…I have a great VG-10 folder, but it’s just too big…

Spyderco made a couple of their Native series in VG-10 (the Native 3 and 4 I believe)… discontinued, but you can still find them for sale.

How ’bout a VG-10 Damscus? :woohoo: 😛

Spyderco Caly3 Damascus
    (Just saw the cool pic on their site…)

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That’s really pretty! I love VG-10; great steel, great value.

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Wow, that’s pretty.
    I quit being a fan of Spydeco about 10 years ago when I had a couple of their knives either break or fall apart. Customer service back then was near non existant. So I assume they have gotten better, I keep seeing lots of posts about their stuff.

They have a number of knives that are catching my eye, but so far their damascus one and the Fallkniven are my favorites, based on looks alone.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I quit being a fan of Spydeco about 10 years ago when I had a couple of their knives either break or fall apart. Customer service back then was near non existant. So I assume they have gotten better,

Hmmm.. Spyderco Customer service has always been top notch, in my experience. I’ve owned Spydercos since the early – mid ’80s and never had an issue. I’ve also never had one break or worse, fall apart. I only have about 70 of them but I think that’s a pretty good sampling, both for CS and QC.

Here’s a few of them:

I have destroyed a few clips over the years but nothing a new clip and screws couldn’t fix.

I think they are worth a look.

Ken

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Heavens to Betsy mate!! What a fine collection! So you love Spyderco stuff do you! LOL!
    Hey Ken, in case I don’t get a chance later, Merry Christmas my friend. Have happy and healthy holiday!

Leo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.