Advanced Search

Need recommendation for sushi knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening Cooking Need recommendation for sushi knife

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

ps I’m still curious as to what makes a “laser” a laser?

IMHO – 1 cent worth

Definition of “laser” term is subjective from person to person – whatever fit the bragging right. In general, it means thin spine (no more than 2.5mm for a 45+mm blade width) with zero grind (a giant bevel start at the spine all the way to the edge) and cutting edge is merely a acute angle micro-bevel (well, with subsequent sharpening the ‘micro’ does get bigger).

Looking at Richmond laser pic, their definition seems to be some sort of convex face, which goes steeper near the edge, then a regular cutting bevel. That cutting bevel isn’t micro, which suggest it’s not that thin behind the edge. Even taking possibly its cutting bevel angle is acute.[/quote]

Bluntcut, I have been following you closely for a year now. And I would say it is safe to say “you have forgotten more then I will ever know?” Thank you so much for taking the time to look at the pic and follow up!
    Mark, thank you very much as well!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Mark, how thick was the Richmond Artifex behind the edge? Did you measure? It’s my understanding that knives need to be .010″ or less behind the edge to have maximum efficiency… I wish CKTG would put the thickness of the edge on their site lol

No, I’ve got no idea… The main thing is that you notice the knife may wedge. If you’ve got this type of question some people at kitchenknifeforums may be able to help you.

I think Leo is right, most kitchen knives require thinning. But I must say that my Konosukes, Suisin Inox Honyaki and Takeda had a perfect profile ootb.

Leo, any idea which angle you’re thinning at?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Mark, I must say you have some amazing knives! I checked them out at CKTG and they are beautiful! I personally really like the Takeda. His customs are more like artwork! I know I’m a beginner and should take baby steps, but I want to jump in with both feet!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark, I must say you have some amazing knives! I checked them out at CKTG and they are beautiful! I personally really like the Takeda. His customs are more like artwork! I know I’m a beginner and should take baby steps, but I want to jump in with both feet!

I know what you mean Eamon… Makes me want to buy some of these myself and be a chef just so I can cut things all day… 🙂 that can’t be a good sign!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

When I started to sharpen knives for other people I realised that I needed to get certain knives to learn to sharpen I did not want to learn on customers knives.
    The two principle knives I bought was a Shun Sanoku to represent Japanese knives knowing very little about them at the time and the other was a ceramic knife .
    I have to thank my Shun for the interest it sparked in Japanese knives . a friend gave me a second hand Seki made Yanagi then a chef asked me to repair a Mac knife which had a good half inch chip in the middle of the blade I got to keep that since it took hours to repair and it was a knife he had acquired so he let me keep it.
    Since then I have bought four other Japanese knives the most recent been an Honyaki which are the best type of Japanese knives made by master blade smiths using the same techniques as those for a samurai sword.
    Apart from having an assortment of Japanese knives it has enabled my confidence in sharpening them . The most complicated been the Deba which is single sided but since it is used to cut up big fish and part bones ( not cut them) the blade has different cutting bevels along its length the handle end of the knife has a shallower angle than the rest of the blade and is sharpened on both sides . So the Deba is urioshi sharpened on the concave side then sharpened around 30* on the chisel side and then near the handle say the last 1/4 at and angle around 25*on both sides (so total 50*)since this is the part of the blade used to remove the fishes head it is done by resting it on the neck with arms straight and then the upper body weight is used to push cut through the vertibrae which is why the angle is greater to make this part of the blade more robust .
    So this is why for me it has been a way to learn which way these knives should be sharpened.; plus I guess I am a knife nut!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks Eamon! I’ll try to post some pics next weekend.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.