Advanced Search

Need help deciding, ordering today! Go or WE100?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Need help deciding, ordering today! Go or WE100?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Beorn
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

Hi All,

Well I’m finally going to take the plunge and order a Wicked Edge with some Christmas bonus money.   I’m trying to decided between the Wicked Edge Go Holiday Pack they have currently or the Pro Pack I.    The Go Holiday Pack will get me 200/600, 800/1000 and strops at 5/3.5.  With this one I would probably add the 1200/1600 ceramics.

The Pro Pack I will provide me with the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 and strops again, so I will probably just stick with this pack for now with no extra stones.

This is going to be for personal sharpening only probably with the occasional friends knives getting sharpened.    Portability isn’t really an issue so can you folks help me out on some of the pros/cons between the two models?

One thing I noticed is the Go will actually let me adjust the angles to my satisfaction using an Angle Cube and sliding the mounts to any angle…correct?  Granted it has no micro adjustments but from what I can tell I can slide the angles to where I desire so I can essentially fine tune it.    Where as the WE100 doesn’t have micro adjustment capability at all, so I’m married to the pre-drilled holes on the bar….am I correct in this?

Let me know your thoughts….please!

Thanks!

B.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Beorn!

You are correct with your statement on adjustability for the WE GO.

On the WE100, you can unscrew, and remove, the Square Angle Bar.  Flip it around so the detents are facing the rear, then remount it securely.  Then exchange the pointed rod arm locking screws with flat end 10/32 screws.  With out utilizing the detents, you should have the same adjustment capacity as your seeing with the WE GO.

The advantage of starting with the WE100 over the WE GO is the WE100 is fully upgradeable.  If you desire, over time, you can incorporate upgrades till eventually you’ll have a full functioning WE130.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Beorn
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Marc!   I didn’t realize you could flip that bar around, so it sounds like the WE100 can also give you full angle adjustment as well.

That now has me leaning towards the WE100 in the Pro Pack I now.     I’m also not crazy about the 200/600 stone you get with the Go, I’d much rather it came with a 400/600 so I could then purchase a 100/200.    Is it a big jump, especially when re-profiling, to skip the 400 grit mark and go from 200 to 600?

One more question too, is the blade clamp the same clamp in the Go vs the WE100?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Beorn.
    Beorn
    Participant

Well I just decided to splurge and ordered the Pro Pack II with the WE120  🙂    I deserve it right???

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Both the GO and the WE100 utilize the same “standard” clamp system.  I suggest your read this if you have not already done so.  It explains the differences in the models and their vices.

Just a suggestion to help complicate your decision on what to purchase…The Pro Pack II (is a very complete system) for $675.  For $549 you could can start with the WE130 with the newest, simplest to use, Gen 3 clamping system, and have $125 left over to add a couple accessories.  I think in the long run the Gen 3 clamping system is the better way to go.

Unless you plan to sharpen very thick steel knives,  the WE130 can do everything the WE120 does, quicker and simpler.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The pro pack 2 is a good setup and you may decide that you don’t need anything else to get the sharpening results you’re after. The self-centering jaws and one-handed lever action of the generation 3 clamp is a great luxury to have if you ever decide to upgrade. As long as you’re aware of the extra adjustments that you may have to make with the standard clamp, it only affects how easy it is to setup your knife. Once you actually get to sharpening it makes no difference which one you have.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Beorn
    Participant

Thanks Organic!   I understand the luxury of the WE130 clamp….for now I think I’ve about decided to just go with the Pro Pack 2 and suffer the standard clamp.     As you said, I figure once the knife is clamped I’ll be good to go.   Getting there may not be as quick but that’s ok…this gives me something to do 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.