Advanced Search

Need Angle of 45 Degrees

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Need Angle of 45 Degrees

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Bob Harvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 13

Bob, the Wicked Edge steel square bar is 5/16″. You can replace it with a longer bar.

Wow I never thought of getting a longer bar. People are always giving away junk BBQ’s on Craig’s List, I will have to find one with the rotisserie thing. I could live without the indents.

I already have the longer guide rods and low angle adaptor, so should be able to find combinations that work for all sharpening with the addition of 5/16 longer bar.

You are putting those “pool noodles” to good use on your base. I use them on my ladders to avoid damaging the edge of shingles, I do roof inspections.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The longer bar doesn’t affect how you sharpen knives. You don’t need the low angle adapter, (LAA), unless you needed it  already with the original length bar.  The longer bar simply gives you a wider angle capacity you lacked with the regular length bar.

I needed the longer bar because I use an extra riser block.  This allow me to achieve lower angle settings with just the W.E. vise, without the need to use the LAA.  When I gained the low angle ability it was at the sacrifice of the wide angle ability.  It’s a compromise between low angle and wide angles.

That’s just what you found when you removed the riser block.   You lost the narrow angle ability you need for knives.  In order to have a narrow angle range the riser block is used.  Then to improve the wide angle range with the riser block still in place you found you needed a longer square bar to allow you to move the end brackets wider.

By using both the extra riser block in combination with the longer square bar I expanded my overall angle range, both low and wide settings.

FYI: some rotisserie bars are not exactly square.  Some are sort of rounded out in the flat sides.  This is to help them insert through meats that your putting on the spit.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Bob Harvey
    Participant

The longer bar simply gives you a wider angle capacity you lacked with the regular length bar.

Awesome. That is my next step on the journey.

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

@Bob Harvey

The SA is going to add 24° to the angle so I don’t see how it won’t help you to easily get to 45°. But Marc gave you some good ideas so I’m sure that you will get everything working great. But photos always help.

Bob Harvey
    Participant

But photos always help.

Right – please see the previous page for photos. We have been busy this morning, and it started a new page.

000Robert
    Participant

But photos always help.

Right – please see the previous page for photos. We have been busy this morning, and it started a new page.

I know. I was basically thanking you for the photos.

Bob Harvey
    Participant

@Bob Harvey The SA is going to add 24° to the angle so I don’t see how it won’t help you to easily get to 45°.

Gotcha, I am new to the Scissor Attachment – but here’s my opinion.

I think if it simply angled over a bit from vertical, while still holding the “goat hoof shears” upright, then it would work. But it also moves the shears 90 degrees from vertical, so it is a very big change from doing simple knives on Wicked Edge.

In this photo, I have the rod-arm moved outward as far as it can go on the WE120 and the sharpie is only removed from the apex.

I knew that I was getting the tool for something other than what it was intended for (scissors).  The angle of these “goat hoof shears” tends to be about 40 degrees which is just odd. I just did some garden pruners, the factory edge was 36 degrees and I could do them with the Wicked Edge standard out of the box set up. So I realize that I have an odd-ball application.

I am OK on keeping the scissor attachment regardless, I am a tool freak and am sure they will see some use.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Bob Harvey.
    • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Bob Harvey.
    Attachments:
    Marc H

There are too many different cutting implements to make a one size fits all sharpener set-up.   Hence adaptations and modifications to broaden your W.E. sharpening tool’s usefulness to better fit your personal needs.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

@Bob Harvey The SA is going to add 24° to the angle so I don’t see how it won’t help you to easily get to 45°.

Gotcha, I am new to the Scissor Attachment – but here’s my opinion. I think if it simply angled over a bit from vertical, while still holding the “goat hoof shears” upright, then it would work. But it also moves the shears 90 degrees from vertical, so it is a very big change from doing simple knives on Wicked Edge. In this photo, I have the rod-arm moved outward as far as it can go on the WE120 and the sharpie is only removed from the apex. I knew that I was getting the tool for something other than what it was intended for (scissors). The angle of these “goat hoof shears” tends to be about 40 degrees which is just odd. I just did some garden pruners, the factory edge was 36 degrees and I could do them with the Wicked Edge standard out of the box set up. So I realize that I have an odd-ball application. I am OK on keeping the scissor attachment regardless, I am a tool freak and am sure they will see some use.

They will definitely be good for scissors. The angle on those shears must be more obtuse than 40°. I can go over 50° with my setup. Maybe the WE120 has a shorter angle bar. Anyway, a wider angle bar like Marc suggested will probably fix the problem for good.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Here’s a place that popped up when doing a search for 5/16 ss square bar stock.

midweststeelsupply.com

choose your length.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I bought 5/16″ stainless square bar stock from Mcmaster.com (8986K13).  Cut to the desired length and use the original bar as a template – clamp it centered to the new bar and drill the two holes through the original holes.  A 7/32″ drill ought to work.

000Robert
    Participant

I bought 5/16″ stainless square bar stock from Mcmaster.com (8986K13). Cut to the desired length and use the original bar as a template – clamp it centered to the new bar and drill the two holes through the original holes. A 7/32″ drill ought to work.

Thanks. I’ve always been happy with my orders from McMaster-Carr. I went ahead and ordered myself a 2′ bar just in case I ever need it.

Marc H

I believe the most recent version W.E. square bar has 3 holes through it.  One pair of symmetrical holes on the outside from the center and a third single hole offset to the left from the center.  This single center-offset hole is for the standard vise model you use, Bob. Three holes insure that the one square bar is compatible with the WE110, WE120 and WE130 models, and all the upgrade kits with their attachments or installations methods.

If you’re going to upgrade or modify your set-up with this new longer square bar, you may want to drill the three holes to make it compatible/backwards compatible with every W.E. model so your covered if you should choose to upgrade your set-up’s vise in the future.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.