Advanced Search

Need Angle of 45 Degrees

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Need Angle of 45 Degrees

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 62
    • Replies: 2406

Power planer – 2 blades that spin and run live edge lumber over them

Like Emily Litella used to say on SNL (’70s), “oh!, that’s very different, never mind”.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 37
    • Replies: 2009

Emily was played by the late, great Gilda Radner.  I remember her wondering what all the fuss was, about “sax and violins” on television.  That was another of her “Oh!  Never mind!” moments.  I thought she was even better in her other character role, as Rosanne Rosannadana.  Gilda, a gifted comedienne, was married to Gene Wilder and died in 1988 of ovarian cancer.  Lots of youtube videos of her.

MarcH
    • Topics: 62
    • Replies: 2406

I started to write like Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say.  Then it dawned on me, wrong character.

We’re showing our ages.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

LOL – listening to the book “Live from New York” – behind the scene interviews with cast members and writers from 1975 – 2015 – very interesting stuff. SNL was a “must see” for me

1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 232

Yeah, it used to be fun to watch. It’s probably been over a decade since I watched it.

Bob Harvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

…planer blades that require a 45 degree angle. …I have the WE130 and the largest angle is approximately 38 degrees.

I have the WE120 and wonder if there is some way to LOWER the clamp that holds the blade in order to achieve a wider angle.

The WE scale goes out to 35, I can use the angle cube and get it out to 38-40 but that is it. I am sharpening “goat hoof shears” which look just like the small pruners that gardeners use. At my max angle I have to reprofile all her shears, that are likely around 42 degrees from the factory.

When you hit the limit on how far out you can move the arm, you just have to wonder if it’s possible to put a smaller riser / spacer that sits below the clamp. That would achieve the same result of a bigger angle…

000Robert
    Participant

…planer blades that require a 45 degree angle. …I have the WE130 and the largest angle is approximately 38 degrees.

I have the WE120 and wonder if there is some way to LOWER the clamp that holds the blade in order to achieve a wider angle. The WE scale goes out to 35, I can use the angle cube and get it out to 38-40 but that is it. I am sharpening “goat hoof shears” which look just like the small pruners that gardeners use. At my max angle I have to reprofile all her shears, that are likely around 42 degrees from the factory. When you hit the limit on how far out you can move the arm, you just have to wonder if it’s possible to put a smaller riser / spacer that sits below the clamp. That would achieve the same result of a bigger angle…

The scissor attachment won’t work for the goat hoof shears?

Bob Harvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

I thought they would have a much more blunt angle – but I can’t seem to find any numbers on that from Wicked Edge…

But maybe you are right – I found a scissor site that said 40-45 degrees which is what I need. I will have to pick up that attachment. I think it would clamp the disassembled shears well. Yeah I will give that a try.

000Robert
    Participant

I thought they would have a much more blunt angle – but I can’t seem to find any numbers on that from Wicked Edge… But maybe you are right – I found a scissor site that said 40-45 degrees which is what I need. I will have to pick up that attachment. I think it would clamp the disassembled shears well. Yeah I will give that a try.

It works great for me on my scissors. I forgot what the offset is from the base level for the scissors attachment, but the chisel attachment is offset 26° from base level, if I remember right. But the easiest way to sharpen them is with the sharpie method anyway. The scissor attachment also grips very well, better than I expected it would.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.