Advanced Search

Need Angle of 45 Degrees

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Need Angle of 45 Degrees

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

A buddy asked if I could sharpen his planer blades that require a 45 degree angle and I said I would give it a go. I have the WE130 and the largest angle is approximately 38 degrees.

Looking to see if there is any “tricks” or modifications that can help get the required angle. Looking at possibly an extension on the bottom rod that the guides rods slide on to extend it out further to get to 45 degrees.

Thought I would toss this out to the experts for some opinions

Thanks

Mike

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 404

A buddy asked if I could sharpen his planer blades that require a 45 degree angle and I said I would give it a go. I have the WE130 and the largest angle is approximately 38 degrees. Looking to see if there is any “tricks” or modifications that can help get the required angle. Looking at possibly an extension on the bottom rod that the guides rods slide on to extend it out further to get to 45 degrees. Thought I would toss this out to the experts for some opinions Thanks Mike

You probably need the chisel adapter. They say that it will handle planer blades up to four inches wide.

Mike
    Participant

Thanks – not sure I want to make a huge investment and also not sure it would get me to 45 degrees. I do have the scissor attachment and it was not close enough

mj

000Robert
    Participant

The scissor attachment is made for scissors, not planer blades. I’m sure that the chisel attachment could accommodate a 45° angle. It is made to use for sharpening chisels and planer blades.

Mike
    Participant

The scissor attachment did hold the blade correctly and am well aware of its intended use. Just thought I would try it to see if the desired angle could be reached

000Robert
    Participant

I’ll let you know for sure in a few days when my chisel attachment gets here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mike
    Participant

Thanks – it would be a hefty investment if I am only doing a few – will be good to know

Mike

000Robert
    Participant

Thanks – it would be a hefty investment if I am only doing a few – will be good to know Mike

Well you know what they say: better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I really don’t use chisels, gouges, and planers much but my son does. He loves woodworking. I love working with steel. So I bought the chisel attachment mainly for sharpening stuff for him. I also need to get a grinder with a CBN wheel to sharpen some of the gouges. I’ve also been thinking about getting a decent belt grinder.

000Robert
    Participant

Thanks – it would be a hefty investment if I am only doing a few – will be good to know Mike

Hi Mike. My Chisel Attachment came in today. It looks good and is solidly built! I’m not the worlds greatest at geometry, but it seems to me that the average user can get to about 50°. So 45° should be no problem. That’s with the screw in the most inside hole and the guide rod adjuster screwed all the way in, and the chisel set to the stop plate like it shows in the instructions.

I used the holes in the guide bar because not everyone has Ed’s (NotSharpEnuff) micro-adjusters. With my micro-adjusters I can go to about 53° or so.

The chisel installed into the CA sits at 26° from the base level.

Mike
    Participant

Thanks – good to know. If I get more requests to do them I will explore that option. Appreciate you getting back to me

000Robert
    Participant

You’re welcome.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Sorry I hadn’t read this before, as I could have saved you some time and money.  Planer blades wouldn’t work in a chisel adapter or even in the WE because of their angle.  You can, however, use the diamond stones to finish the edges.

Planer blades tend to see damage that is quite deep along their edges and which usually requires some sort of powered sanding to remove enough steel to eliminate the edge damage.  Hitting a staple or other really hard component will do some nasty damage.  Most pro woodworkers will always check for metal in the wood with a metal detect first.

I made a fixture to hold 2 blades at the correct angle out of a piece of 2X4 similar to the one shown here.  You can use a table saw set at 45 deg. to make the slots for the blades.  Most saw blades are 1/8″ thick and and the kerf will fit the blades from my Dewalt planer perfectly. I added some screws to lock the blades in position.  You can work the edges with a oil or whetstone, but I hold the fixture upside down on a belt sander – provided it has a flat backer platen.  Using 220-grit belts, I can remove the dings and chips fairly easily.  Using stones as shown in the link will take forever to accomplish the same results.  You can, however, use your diamond stones to finish and polish the edges.

If I didn’t have the equipment, I’d send the blades out for sharpening.  Any woodworker store would or should have some resource available to sharpen blades.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

A buddy asked if I could sharpen his planer blades that require a 45 degree angle and I said I would give it a go. I have the WE130 and the largest angle is approximately 38 degrees. Looking to see if there is any “tricks” or modifications that can help get the required angle. Looking at possibly an extension on the bottom rod that the guides rods slide on to extend it out further to get to 45 degrees. Thought I would toss this out to the experts for some opinions Thanks Mike

Mike, are you talking about a hand block planer or a larger power planer used on lumber?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant

Yeah, I was using a chisel and assumed that a planer blade would be the same. But I don’t have a planer blade to try. I don’t do woodworking except to install a new door lock or something.

Mike
    Participant

Power planer – 2 blades that spin and run live edge lumber over them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.