Advanced Search

Nano-Cloth Studies – Series 1

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Nano-Cloth Studies – Series 1

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

.. super polished bevels..

Clay,

I have been meaning to ask, 1.) what steel is this that you were using for these tests, and 2.) what RC? Just curious … thanks[/quote]

I’ve been using a bunch of utility blades from the same 100 pc pack so that they are very similar. They’re listed as “high carbon” though I don’t know exactly what the composition or hardness is. If I had to guess, I’d put the hardness around 57-58 HRC.

-Clay

Sven Schläfke
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

I started by preparing a bunch of samples with super polished bevels so we would be able to clearly see the effects of various abrasives.

Hi Clay,

Fascinating pictures! I’m curious, how did you “super polish” the edge to begin with? 🙂

Sincerely,
    –Lagrangian[/quote]

I progressed through the usual diamond plates, then on to the Micro-Fine ceramics and then used 1um diamond on cow leather, .5um diamond on cow leather, .25um diamond on kangaroo and then .125 CBN on kangaroo. I didn’t spend so much time as to remove every last scratch, just the vast majority.[/quote]

So you did ship the Super fine 1200/1600 in this case? Did it take you much longer with the next ceramics since you did skip the fist?

wickededge
    Keymaster

So you did ship the Super fine 1200/1600 in this case? Did it take you much longer with the next ceramics since you did skip the fist?

In this case I did skip them and it took a little longer, but not too bad, partly because my diamond plates are so well worn in now that they’re already doing a lot of polishing before I even get to the ceramics.

-Clay

DrMatt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

Clay, is this your Dino-Lite 500 you took these pics with?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, is this your Dino-Lite 500 you took these pics with?

Hey Doc,

These are with the 2000x metallurgical scope though only at 800x. I’ve only just started getting decent images at 2000x today. I’m hoping to get some more posted next week.

-Clay

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.