Advanced Search

My year with the WE

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat My year with the WE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Been a while since I posted anything, but try to stop by daily to see what going on in the WE world. It’s been one year since I started collecting knives … primarily folders. Since then, have accumulated 88 and the number seems to keep growing. It is also close to a year that I have been using the WE. Recently, a bud from Blade Forums asked me how I liked my “Edge Pro.” I guess he had a memory lapse … something I am all too familiar with! Anyway, I proceeded to give him a detailed explanation why I chose the WE over the Edge Pro and why I consider it to be at the top of the heap in the area of guided sharpening systems. In particular, I told him about the custom Allen Elishewitz Jekyll I bought. I had a beautiful Chad Nichols African Savanna pattern Damascus blade. Problem was that the bevel was slightly off on one side. I wanted to fix this, but keep it looking original and take off as little steel as possible. The WE did an outstanding job. The blade is now razor-sharp with perfectly matched, polished bevels. I am hoping I added another soon to be satisfied user to the family. Moving along … since acquiring the WE, have sharpened (and resharpened / touched up) 40 of my knives (some I keep untouched as collectables). I have gone through the learning process, settling on what works best for me; had a few dismal failures, but far more outstanding outcomes; have stabbed and sliced myself a couple times (not paying attention to that sharp blade mounted in the WE vise); and have marveled at the simplicity and capabilities of the WE. For an older gent like me …. who has to take a daily dose of NSAIDs to get his finger joints a movin’ in the morning …. the WE makes knife sharpening a breeze. Still want to buy a few more items for the WE (some of the nano cloth and kangaroo strop material and the new ceramics) …. but so far, find myself spending most of my allocated hobby money on more knives!! Soon, I hope! Just want to wish everyone a great new year. Stay sharp and stay safe!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Dennis, good hearing your experiences with the WEPS… Nice bunch of knives too, I checked all of the many photos. You have several that are on my list to get one day. I do have a Paramilitary 2 in M390 on the way…
    Your Hobby budget must be doing quite well. I think it took me close to 10 years to hit the 90 knives level.

Now do your knives and photos a favor 🙂 (BTW very nice photos)
    Pick up a set of the Chosera stones. At least the 800/1K. 2K/3K and 5K/10K sets You will be even more impressed with your edges. I promise !! Not that they get an order of magnitude sharper, but the edge definitely gets an order of magnitude more reflective… much prettier! The strops are real nice to have, but the waterstones are pretty amazing!

Happy New Year !!

Phil

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Thanks Phil. Actually, one of the reasons I decided on the WE in the first place was the ability to get great results without using water stones! Just don’t want to mess with water in the location I have set up to sharpen. But, you don’t have to convince me much on their ability to make an edge shine. I have viewed in awe at some of the pics and progression examples. For me, I don’t need a super brilliant mirror shine. Edge bevel consistency and sharpness are the only two qualities that really matter. A reflective bevel is a side benefit for me. And …. though it might be blasphemy … I don’t even get hung up anymore about a few residual scratches in areas I have trouble working! Funny, the thing I appreciate most about the WE and sharpening is the fact that I find it so relaxing that it lowers my blood pressure significantly. And in this day and age, we all could probably handle a little more of that!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks for the update Dennis! I used to have the edge pro pro model, but honestly I could never see myself going back to that instead of the weps again 🙂

You need to take part in the contest that Leo is hosting 🙂

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=7157&Itemid=63

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Thanks Phil. Actually, one of the reasons I decided on the WE in the first place was the ability to get great results without using water stones! Just don’t want to mess with water in the location I have set up to sharpen. But, you don’t have to convince me much on their ability to make an edge shine. I have viewed in awe at some of the pics and progression examples. For me, I don’t need a super brilliant mirror shine. Edge bevel consistency and sharpness are the only two qualities that really matter. A reflective bevel is a side benefit for me. And …. though it might be blasphemy … I don’t even get hung up anymore about a few residual scratches in areas I have trouble working! Funny, the thing I appreciate most about the WE and sharpening is the fact that I find it so relaxing that it lowers my blood pressure significantly. And in this day and age, we all could probably handle a little more of that!

I understand the relaxing part. When I get into a knife it definitely is calming. I now understnd what my Mom used to say about knitting…:) I can do a knife in 15 to 20 minutes and make it very sharp. Going through my entire progression can take a couple of hours or more… but it is time well spent and I love doing it… occasionally. I do 90% of the knives that I sharpen on a belt grinder. If I do my part I can make knives scary sharp and it takes 5 minutes. It simply is not nearly as satisfying, nor relaxing !!

It is the OCD in me that makes me like the Chosera stones so much. They feel wonderful to use and do refine the edge significantly from anything else I have, plus make the bevel visually amazing. I use the waterstones on the WEPS at my kitchen table. When I use them the way Tom says to do it, the mess is very minimal. I know folks think of a running water type of liquid everywhere sort of thing. After a brief soaking…10 minutes or so, a couple of drops of water on the stones every 25 to rhirty strokes is all that it takes. Hardly any dripping results. I have a spray bottle that sits on the table, half a stroke or less on the trigger give me plenty of water for the next 25 or so strokes.

Here is a photo after 125 strokes on each side using the Chosera 3K stones. You have to look closely to see the amount of liquid that dripped. None leaves the base. A simple wipe with a damp sponge and you won’t even be able tell you used waterstones. This is not even close to the videos you see of folks using them (bench stones) under running water over a sink. The Choseras, and even less so the Shaptons, just don’t need this kind of constant stream of water to work very well. With the Choseras, you really do not want to wet them enough to drip so you can keep the mud in place! With the Saptons, a wipe with a wet cotton ball occasionally is all that is needed.

If I didn’t like the results as much as I do, I wouldn’t rave as much as I do. Yes there is a little more to deal with using the waterstones on the WEPS, but the emphasis should be on the term “Little bit

The results are worth it… and you get that much more relaxation
    time too !

Phil

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hey Dennis – nice to see you back again and to hear all is well. I can sure see why you haven’t been adding to your Wicked Edge set up – :woohoo: – thanks for sharing those pics. And glad that all is proceeding wonderfully with your Wicked Edge I’ve bookmarked your gallery so I can keep up with what you are adding…..beautiful choices!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.