Advanced Search

my opinion of the super fine after 3 days with it.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives my opinion of the super fine after 3 days with it.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I will once again jump in with yet another opinion (as if you didn’t think I would). 😆

This afternoon I started sharpening my favorite knife. A Grayman, Satu which is S30v steel. This knife comes with a very unsophisticated edge at about 22 degrees. I reprofiled it to 18 degrees with my 50- 80 grit stones which really grind the steel and leave a very, very rough scratchy surface, like a rasp file. So this was a real test. Long story short, I worked through the normal progression of stones 100> 200>400>600>800>1000. I used about 3x’s as many strokes as before and almost feather touch pressure. I began to see the scratches from each previous stone smoothing out more than ever before, but the 1000 still left a mostly non glossy finish although the scratch pattern was quite fine. The next stone I used was the 1200 super ceramic. I used it dry and again nearly feather touch pressure and many, many more strokes than before. Something new happened this time. Compared to each of the two previous knives I sharpened using the super fine and all the other stones in the normal progression, this time, a very glossy, reflective mirror surface began to emerge with the 1200. It was more glossy than I got after using my micro fine and several pastes and leathers, including my kangaroo with no added grit. I was more than shocked at how nice my Satu was looking. I went to the 1600 and it became even glossier. Beyond anything I have gotten to date even with all my best polishing stuff.

Up to now, I would have been totally happy if this were the final result and I like a mirror finish as you know from all my posts. I am now prepared to say unequivocally and without reservation, that the super fine, 1200-1600 is a great stone set and will easily get you to as shiny, glossy and reflective a finish when used in the total progression to leather and pastes as the limits of your metal will allow. I had to end at the 1600 stone because my wife gave me an ultimatum and I had to go.i still need to move to the micro and beyond, and must say I am enthusiastic and can’t wait to see the final result. I’ll try to take a picture for you, but take my word for now. It is coming along great.

So I will not (and would not) tell anyone what to buy or use, but I was going to buy the Chosera’s because I did not think the super fine was as good as the Chosera’s. But I am a convert and now know from my own experience that this is a very capable stone set which is for me indispensable.

I am done buying stones for now. I think I have arrived at where I wanted to be when I first began. :woohoo:

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I will once again jump in with yet another opinion (as if you didn’t think I would). 😆

I am now prepared to say unequivocally and without reservation, that the super fine, 1200-1600 is a great stone set and will easily get you to as shiny, glossy and reflective a finish when used in the total progression to leather and pastes as the limits of your metal will allow.
    So I will not (and would not) tell anyone what to buy or use, but I was going to buy the Chosera’s because I did not think the super fine was as good as the Chosera’s. But I am a convert and now know from my own experience that this is a very capable stone set which is for me indispensable.

I am done buying stones for now. I think I have arrived at where I wanted to be when I first began. :woohoo:

Glad you are happy, really! I like reading your posts. It sounds like you are moving towards getting the results that make you pleased with your efforts.

I would never argue with your vast experience, but I can share mine…

As long as there is a different way, and maybe a better way (faster, finer, shinier) never say you are done…
    Those are like famous last words before disappearing down the rabbit hole… Believe me.
    I would also be cautious about making unequivocal recommendations based upon one sharpening session with one knife…with nothing to compare to.

Don’t mean to dampen your enthusiasm… really ! Just trying to be objective.

Phil

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I would never argue with your vast experience, but I can share mine…

My experience is anything but vast :unsure:

As long as there is a different way, and maybe a better way (faster, finer, shinier) never say you are done…
    Those are like famous last words before disappearing down the rabbit hole… Believe me.
    I would also be cautious about making unequivocal recommendations based upon one sharpening session with one knife…with nothing to compare to.

Both are fair points and I can not argue with anything in this post. I may have misstated, I didn’t mean to offer this experience as much to say I recommend it as to just share what I would characterize as a discovery on my part. I was not 100% loving the super fine stones as I mentioned. They were not exactly what I thought they would be when I ordered them and felt them for the first time especially next to the other stones I have. But this admittedly anecdotal experience has left me much more enthusiastic for their potential, even if I can’t duplicate this result in my next knife. It has certainly shown me that at least so far, my lack of success has been more my fault than that of the equipment. So I thought I might share. Your milage may vary. I only want to be helpful. I am not trying to sell WE stuff for Clay, but credit should be given when it is due.

Don’t mean to dampen your enthusiasm… really ! Just trying to be objective.

I don’t doubt it.

Phil

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.