Advanced Search

My Official Hello!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat My Official Hello!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mathew Whaley
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 22

While it’s not actually my first post, it will be the first since my WEPS arrived last week, and I decided it would be a good time to say hi to everyone.

I got the pro-pack 1, along with 1, .5, .125, and 0.05 micron balsa strops, and 0.025 micron on leather, keeping the other side of leather blank. I’ve sharpened a few junk knives to break in the stones and practice with the system, as well as get all the stropping compounds settled into their respective blanks.

I just finished up my first real knife, a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in VG-10, sharpened at 16 degrees each side (using angle cube) and finished up through 0.05 micron,(0.025 is on backorder), and finally blank leather. Here’s some pics.

[/URL]

[/URL]

After finishing I decided to test it by having a shave, and it did a wonderful job 🙂

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Mathew
    Glad you got your WEPS and I must say you did an excellent job on your knife…shaving sharp and a mirror polish are not what one usually gets with most other sharpeners. I am sure you will agree the WEPS is a fine rig and you will soon wonder how you ever sharpened without it. I know that is how I felt. Good to hear from you again and please post about your experiences from time to time. Well done mate! 🙂

All the best
    Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Matthew, welcome to the forums! You did a really great job, not only on the knife, but they are also great photos. And I definitely believe the knife gave you a smooth shave!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mathew Whaley
    Participant

An update with a blade I just finished up. The blade from my Leatherman Wave.

Progression was:

Diamond:

Sandpaper:

Balsa Strops:

Cow Leather:
    Blank

Whittles hair easily, passes HHT. Dont really feel like shaving with a leatherman so thats as far as the testing will go 😛

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Nice! :woohoo:

What do you put your sandpaper on top of… (stone, balsa, blank? etc.) Just curious.

Mathew Whaley
    Participant

I put it on the 1000 grit diamond stones with a bit of duck tape

Also here’s a direct link to a larger image

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2870/1002361fd.jpg

You can see that the polish isnt great at the very heel of the blade. I cant get the strops in close enough because they hit the rest of the Leatherman, since the blade is so offset to one side.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Nice! Thanks.

Heel areas are a PITA on some knives.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.