Advanced Search

My first knife using Wicked Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat My first knife using Wicked Edge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DeaconBlues
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Hello everyone. I’m happy to be a member of this forum and to be owner of The Wicked Edge Pro Pack 3 which arrived today. I was anxious to get going on my first knife so I chose a Farberware chief knife to break the ice. I decided to do a re-profile to 17 degrees which may have been a mistake. I have no idea what the rockwell hardness of this knife is but suspect it’s a relatively soft steel. I sharpened using 100 grit through 600 grit and it wasn’t cutting paper like it should be so this was a disappointment.

I’ve viewed many of the youtube videos and thought I understood the process but it’s different when your by yourself and attempting to do this for the first time.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and community DeaconBlues.  Good choice on the PP3.  Results to your liking will come soon enough.  There is a bit of a learning curve.  While you’re learning your stones will be breaking in, too.  The hardest thing for a beginner to do is know when the knife side bevel is continuous all the way up to the knife edge.  Creating and using a “burr”, something you can feel, is a good way to insure you have done this.  Along with applying a black marker to the bevels then visually inspecting to verify the ink is being removed from the proper place.

Read, read, read all the posts you can on this Forum.  As you mentioned,  YouTube videos are great learning aids.  The Wicked Edge creator, Clay Allison has many excellent YouTube videos.  All are worth viewing.

17º to 20º is a good profile choice.  I recommend wider angles, 20º, for the learners.  It is quicker to apply, removes less steel and still is very usable.  I agree that knife is probably a medium hardness steel, like HRc 58.  It’s a good value priced product.  It’ll get extremely sharp when you figure it out.

Welcome

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jason (Ronin)
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I did something very similar when I received my WE GO. I immediately put a Farberware santoku on it and re-profiled it to 17 degrees. It took longer than I anticipated but, when it got there, it worked great. I then used 800/1000 ceramics and 5/3.5 µ compounds on leather.

It just required some patience. Now that I have done several, it has sped up as the stones broke in and my technique improved.

Here are a couple of pics of the Farberware santoku after my first use.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.