Advanced Search

My Favorite Folder

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos My Favorite Folder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

This is the DPx HEST folder. Although my Fallkniven PXL folder is more beautiful with a blade of 3G Super Powder Steel, still this somewhat comparatively drab looking knife finds its way into my pocket as an EDC most often. It is a sturdy knife with a strong lock-up which holds the blade well-centered and firm. There was a great deal of trouble with this model’s first and 2nd issue but my copy was a good one. Still if something does go wrong I can send it back anytime, no questions asked and they will send me a brand new one of the revamped model.

The liner is made of Titanium and the blade from D2 tool steel. I love this little folder and that D2 holds an edge like a razor after being worked on my WEPS. Good retention too.
    What is your favorite folder?

Cheers
    Leo

jeff williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 23

Right now It’s my Ritter grip, like the blade shape and love that M4 steel:woohoo:

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Do you have a photo of the Ritter Jeff! I would love to see one mate!

Leo

jeff williams
    Participant
    • Replies: 23

Leo..I will try to get one up tomorrow…not to good at this uploading and downloading stuff..bear with me..PM comeing

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Leo..I will try to get one up tomorrow…not to good at this uploading and downloading stuff..bear with me..PM comeing

Hi Hammer! Take your time and don’t sweat it! Put up pictures when you can. Experiment away! Make mistakes and try again until you get it. It’s OK!
    I got your PM…good on you! Did you get my PM?

Later my friend
    Leo

Dave Schur
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 39

My favorite folder would be a toss up between my Spyderco Military and Paramilitary both in S90V. If I have to pick one – it’s the Military.

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 84

Dang, always have to ask the tough ones, don’t you Leo? 😆

Depends on my mood at the time, but it’d be a toss-up between a Spyderco Manix-2 in M4, a Spyderco Caly-3 in ZDP-189 laminate, or a CRK Large Sebenza in S30V. Although the new Falkniven TK3 I snagged my dad for his birthday is pretty darn nice too, I wouldn’t mind trying one of those for a while either.

All of mine are currently carrying a polished convex edge from the Kalamazoo belt, but once I get the fine paddles and a couple Choseras in for the WEPS, I might have to re-profile one of them as a test.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Those are mighty fine folders you have chosen as your favourites Dan. You have picked well.
    I am normally a collector of fixed blade knives, but recently I have been captured by folders thanks to my DpX and Fallniven PXL folders. I have put up a shot of my DpX so here is one of my PXL…it is on the far right with the ivory Micarta scales. Both are extra special tools…there is not much that fixed blades can do that would stump these 2 bad boys.

Let’s hope others will come forward and post their favourites.favorites in American!! 😆

Cheers
    Leo

Zach
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

I too am a big fan of my DPX HEST. I have both gen I and gen II. Can’t seem to leave my pocket. Still love my Strider SNG and CRK Sebenza 21 too. Those are my top three.

Joseph Griffin
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

What angle did you sharpen to?

John Herron
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 39

My beat up SOG with Aces and Eights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGcaM-thPKE

GREGARY WATKINS
    Participant
    • Replies: 6

I don’t have a very large or expensive collection of knives since I’m just starting out as a knife nerd. My favorite folder may come out of left field to many folks: the Spyderco Manix 2. It’s a knife I figured wouldn’t be an instant favorite when I ordered it on a whim but it was just interesting enough to get. When I finally got it I saw all of the positive and negative things about it in person. Before I knew it, it was getting the most pocket time out of all my favorites.

It has a really thick spine for a folder of its size so it sucks at slicing, but at the same time I know it’s tough as nails. The hollow grind is less than half the height of the blade total so the approach angle to the edge is fairly obtuse, therefore making it bad for slicing/penetrating cuts, but again it’s definitely tough as nails thanks to thickness. Also on the “tough” train of thought, the blade is supported by a gigantic chunk of steel extending 2″ down the spine of the handle instead of just a regular “stop pin” most folders tend to use to brace the blade when opened. The blade shape does lend itself to thrusting or piercing cuts, but only because of the shape, not necessarily the size or grind style. I’ve got plenty of useable edge showing for any task I’m likely to encounter in daily life. There’s not much of a belly on the blade thanks to the typical Spyderco shape but the tip portion has been tough enough that I don’t necessarily need to transition to belly cuts. 154cm steel may not be considered “premium” by some peoples’ opinions, but I’ve put it through hell and back during a full day’s work at 17-degrees per side in both a Benchamade 550 Griptillian and this knife cutting tons of heavy appliance cardboard, packing tape, heavy nylon banding, light fiber/nylon banding, shipping twine, lumber shipping tarps, plastic wrap, and shrink wrap 8 hours a day 5 days a week. No chipping or rolling of the edge, just normal dulling after a couple days. To quote ‘nutnfancy’ from one of his Youtube videos regarding 154cm steel: “If you can’t do a job with 154cm, you’re doing it wrong”. It’s heavy for a folder. G10 scaled handles, full steel liners, a 2″ steel stop block, and a thick blade make it heavier than average, but that’s just another toughness assurance to me. I subscribe to the ‘a knife should have a presence in the hand’ school of thought instead of the ‘a knife should be so light you forget its there’ school of thought. Personal preference on my part. There isn’t a single way you could grip this knife and not get great traction – the entire G10 handle, forward spine, rearward bottom finger area, primary forefinger slot, secondary finger choil slot, and thumb ramp area all have exceptional jimping in the standard non-radius ground Spyderco style.

After so many words, the bottom line is that the Spyderco Manix 2 doesn’t necessarily excel at any one particular task or job profile, but it is tough enough to handle ANY task I’d ever expect a folder to tackle as an EDC blade (and possibly a defensive/tactical blade too, but let’s not get into that right now). When I set out into the world every day, I don’t know what cutting tasks I will encounter, so I don’t need a blade specialized to one or two particular tasks – I need a blade that will handle anything and everything with good performance in all tasks and not fail or break. I think this is it so far. Maybe my collection will expand into another favorite later, but this is my full-time pocket resident for now.

Less like a knife that is built like a tank, more like a tank that was built to be a knife.

P.S: Notice the near-mirror polish the Wicked Edge 3.5 micron strop set gives this blade. This was a rushed and sloppy strop job but still reflects the tabletop 🙂

Attachments:
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

What angle did you sharpen to?

Sorry to be so late with a response but I missed a lot of time awhile back…the knife came with a toothy 20 degree per side angled edge, but I have tried a variety of angles from 18 to 22 degrees per side and at present it is 21 degrees per side. This D2 steel takes a wonderfully sharp edge and holds it well.

Leo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.