Advanced Search

My edges are not really very sharp!

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started My edges are not really very sharp!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Two things to remember when you start using the WEPS: The diamonds on the paddles need to be broken in, so find a couple of cheaper knives to practice your various setup and sharpening procedures and after several sharpenings you will notice the edges you are getting are really improving…I mean really.
    Secondly but most importantly, you may not be raising a complete burr on each side. No complete burr…no razor sharp edge.
    Check this section for instructions on how to develop the all important burr if you are having problems.

Leo

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Good post, Leo!

It’s often the basic things that get overlooked.

Ken

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s the lesson I learned the hard way. It’s the burr, stupid B) .

There’s only a need for raising a burr using your first stones, though. You use subsequent stones to make the edge more refined, essentially to remove the scratches of the previous stones, and there’s no need to raise a burr then.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

That’s the lesson I learned the hard way. It’s the burr, stupid B) .

Yep.

Though in my learning curve, I’m still more in the present tense rather than past tense!!

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I am glad you mentioned that Mark. I have read from some that they are looking for burrs at 400 and 600 paddle stage. Only one burr creation is necessary and that is with the 100 paddle. So I guess now it is time to describe in detail about the actual process of drawing up a burr on both sides of the blade.

Leo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.